Giving a home perm. Please answer if you have an answer

Ok, so i really can't afford to shell out the mega bucks as usual for a perm right now. But i was really wanting to add a little curl to my hair so i can just scrunch it and go. I know you can but the rods and all supplies and perming solution at stores like Sally's beauty supply and that lots of people do it. But i was wandering if i would be able to wrap it myself. Any one know of have experience with it.? Have you ever gave your seld f home perm? Did it go well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My mom did her own perms but she was a professional. If you're ok with wearing your hair up until it loosens then go for it. If you can french braid your own hair you can prob perm. however remmeber that if you take your time then the hair thats already been set for a period of time will be ready before the rest. I would practice without the solution and see if you're capable. GL!!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My mother used to do this when i was younger to all the neighborhood kid's my sister would drag over to the cousin's i have never met. i remember the smell like it were yesterday

It is very easy to do, although i have had only one....perm.....in my whole life, it did not take and it left me with wavy hair instead,
    if i were you get the bigger curlers, not the mini ones,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• How much curl do you want and do you care if they're random or are you looking for a spiral etc?

If you want a more uniform or spiral look I'd suggest getting a friend to help so the rods are all wrapped the same direction and thickness of hair etc...

If you want random then do it yourself should be fine.

If you want more of a wave than an actual curl; you could try putting lots of smaller braids in and using the solutions rather than rolling it. Depending on the size & thickness of each braid you could get really wavy to a slightly beach-y look.

Have fun
    Anonymous

• I do my mom's all the time, it saves her $60 or more dollars! We have the stuff, we were both licensed cosmetologist at one time. But you can still get the perms (Oglive) at the Wal-Mart, or at least here you can. It would probably be better if you could get a friend to help you. Just follow the directions in the perm! Her hair always looks great when we're done! Just follow the timing directions as well! Good luck!!!

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2009