Is there an age when a child should start to be weened from a 'blankie?'

Need advice on a seven year old little girls attachment to a blankie

Mandipants

Asked by Mandipants at 6:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest is 7 and loves her blanket, she is only allowed to sleep with it now though. No dragging it around anymore. She is able to bring it downstairs to curl up on the couch with (although it probably only covers her big toe by now LOL) every now and then. I just told her that it would be devastating if she continues to take it in the car and to day care and it got ruined somehow, so she agreed with me and it was pretty simple to deal with. Best of luck to you, I know this can be a difficult habit to break! My littlest has 3 items she carries around, so that is gonna be a tougher battle for me! LOL
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 6:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Lol! My sister never lost her attachment to hers. When she turned 21 my mom gave her a special box that came with a children's story about giving up your blankie!! My sister LOVED it. Granted she didn't take it everywhere at that age. :-). I would say just try to get her to only use it at bedtime! Don't worry about that.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I don't think there's a set age. There are women on here who still sleep with a special item. I would limit it to at bed time (or stressful times), but I wouldn't take it away.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My DD is addicted to her fishy ever since she was 6 months old and she is 9 get used to it, my DD fish is just part of the family!!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 7:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Leave her alone. I know college kids that take their blankie with them in their pillowcase. Not a big deal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My almost 7yo is wildly attached to her "blankie" I made her when she was a baby. It's the size of a crib mattress so it only covers half of her now but every time I wash it she whines and whines wanting to know when it is done. She isn't allowed to drag it all over though. We stopped that around the time she was 4. She can bring it downstairs to watch TV in the winter but if I find it laying on the floor I either take it away (devastating to her) or it gets banned to her room again. I have no plans of taking it from her.
    When she was a baby she also had this ratty receiving blanket that was mine when I was little. She was very attached to that blanket but I did have to take it away because it got a rip and I was unable to repair it (just kept falling apart). I saved it for her, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I would say there is nothing wrong with it as long as she understands it stays at home durring school hours and she uses it when she needs to sleep. There are plenty of college students who joke that they brought their blankie from home and proudly show it off to their roommate. And the roommate produces their blankie going, "me too!" As we get older we move on to other items of attachment. That watch or ring you just can't not have on you or you feel naked. That is a type of attachment. Making it a big deal makes it worse. Just have a rule about where and when it can be out to keep it safe and protect the blankie. Then as she grows you will most likely find that it is not needed. There are a rare few kids that do actually feel the intense need to have it everywhere, even at school. In those few cases cutting out a small corner of the blankie and puttiing into a pocket may help to transition.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• This question is close to my <3
    Both of my kids have special blankets and as they matured they only slept w/them but even now they are in their pillowcases. Itsa great comfort to them but I agree w/the other posters that if it something she carries around all the time now would be a good time to start having it stay in her bed only. :)
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• WHen she is ready she'll let go of it. Heck I'm 25 and still have a favorite blanket that I take to hotels with me when I travel lol
    Anonymous

• all three of mine have a blankie. it stays at home in bed now - or movie nights on the couch, and camping trips or overnights. they're 8, 6 and 3.

don't worry about it. everyone's got something to 'comfort'
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2009