my second baby on the way...what is going to happen?

My only concern more or less is the sleeping schedule the two babies will be on. My son is twenty months now and I am 5 months along. My son has a HORRIBLE sleeping schedule that just cant be fixed for anything!! I am stressing that once the baby comes I will literally be getting no sleep ever! Will the baby follow my son's pattern and sleep when he does or pretty much just do her own thing? I know some ppls babies sleep more or less to the strict schedules they have is why I ask.

Any other tips or info on how a new baby is going to effect my son and how to cop would be great thanks ladies

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• try these: When baby baby gets here, give older son a ceiling movie to watch (toys r us should have some that run on batteries, I had one almost twenty years ago for my kids).

Plus give him a tape recorder for him to make up his own bedtime stories for his new baby, he can use it specially at night. Stories can be what older son did that day or any kind of words or sounds in his voice.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i had my ds when my dd was 23 mts. her sleep schedule is still horrible and ds is now 7 mts. he ddint sleep thru tye nite till 2 wks ago. the baby coming dindt affect my dd at all. i adjusted to their schedule and most times i run on survival mode
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• What lies ahead for you will definitely be a challenge. I have just had my second child and my son is 4 this month. You'll find they will need something at the same time! You're only one person! Expect good and bad nights. My two week old sometimes keeps me hopping for a several hour block of time in the night, and sometimes he cries out a total of twice-I put his pacifier back in his mouth and he's good. The 4 year old has adjusted well to having a baby brother. Sometimes he acts out, so it's important (and difficult sometimes) for me to continue to show him love and attention too. We created quite a bond over his few years here so far, but with a new baby it's hard to give the same amount of attention as I did before. I think that may be a challenge for you.
    idomatter

Answer by idomatter at 10:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My son was 13 months when I had DD, and DD will be about 18-19 months when I have this baby. When DD was born, I wrote down DS's schedule and hers, to find "common" times for things. Then I tweaked both schedules to allow me to feed one, then the other, change one, then the other, bath one, then the other.. You get the idea. They were shortly on the same schedule. I will be doing the same this time around. Anytime the kids are sleeping, until you get a schedule set, sleep!!! Even a little 20 minute nap will help. Oh, also, I found that the Johnsons Lavender baths worked wonders to make them both sleep a little longer ;) If you need anything, feel free to PM me :) I'm always up for helping
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Oh, and I forgot to mention, let your DS help you out. DS always helps me with DD. He will grab a diaper or the box of wipes when I'm changing her, he will put her dirty dishes in the sink, etc. He will also give her her binky if she drops it, bring her toys, etc. My DS(2) is close to DD(1), and I think it's because they spend so much time together. I taught DS the names for basic things before DD was born, so after she was born he'd feel like the "big" brother and be able to help. Your son is old enough to learn these things and help, too. It will help him adjust to having the baby, and give you a tiny break. :)
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Since I am in the thick of coping....my attitude may be poor! I get about 2-3 hours of sleep a night but the last couple of nights have been about 3-4-. Baby doesnt sleep that well nor eat that well....sometimes he sleeps for 3 hours but usually its for a short time and then is up again. Eating is much of the same...sometimes eats every two hours but then there are times where I am constantly feeding him. My toddler was acting out the first few days but now she is starting to love her baby brother. The only real troubles I have with the two of them is keeping baby safe because toddler wants to touch hit and throw things at the baby.That said, I know it will get better over the next several months as the baby will start having more of a schedule for sleeping and eating. It has been VERY hard...very very hard...I have just been taking one task at a time and taking EVERYONE up on their offers of help, Best wishes
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2009