Does your child's school have a bullying policy, is it good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in

• Yes, ZERO tolerance. The child is punished up to and including expulsion, if it is that bad. Along with that comes possible criminal charges.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• ^^ ours is the same as tyfry's
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Im not sure what the exact policy is but the couple of times my daughter has been bullied it took an act of congress and my dd resorting to physically putting a stop to it before it was taken seriously (of course this incident has been several years ago and it might have changed since then) so im not sure but i alos must say i havent heard about any problems since then from any other parents so maybe it is tough enough. i guess i need to find out huh?
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 8:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Ours has a zero tolerance rule too. Funny thing, the lady that heads the program is mother to the biggest bully in school. When her kid bullies someone, she says "boys will be boys". But when someone bullies her kid, she is out for blood.

Kinda useless, IMO.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:41 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• our school has a "zero tolerance policy" that states what is unacceptable, but there are NO guidelines as to what happens when this occurs. Makes no sense to me to have a policy stated, but no guidlines as to how it will be followed, enforced, implimented, or what actions to take if it's broken? Unfortunately we found out the hard way, the school doesn't do CRAP. The "policy" is just a simple stupid statement, and that's all.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• DS's school has a zero tolerance policy and it sucks! In middle school he was being bullied for months and went to everyone from the teachers in the hall at the time to the principle and got no help. One day he had finally had enough and decided to defend himself, made sure the bully punched him first then thoroughly kicked his a$$ and DS got suspended for 3 days while the other kid got 3 days in schoolsuspension! When the assistant principle called me about it I said that I thought it was totally unfair policy b/c DS tried to bring the problem to school staff and they did NOTHING for months she said he should have put up with it b/c that kid has been a problem for years and nothing they do works! I told her if the bully bothered DS again he would again defend himself again and if he gets in trouble for it I would be going to the board. Luckily DS was never bothered by the kid again.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• The public school here also has a "zero tolerance" policy --- but that doesn't mean squat. It's a very small town --- very small school. If your're a 3rd generation resident.... if your dad was a star on the football team 20 yrs ago.... if you have 2 older siblings that have already gone ahead of you and left a good impression... if you have the right last name, it gets swept under the rug.

Give you an example - spring before last (I believe it was) the highschool burned to the ground. It was the ORIGNAL building --- hardwood floors, historical building, etc. A STUDENT set fire to it. Story was that he failed the TAKS test & wanted a do-over. His family are long-time residents & his parents own a restaurant in town. 

He got probation. 

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Laura, you see the same thing in the small town where I live. If you have the right name, you can bully, harass, or assault anyone and get away with it.  If the school does try to suspend the bully, the entire family, all three generations plus various branches, comes down on the school board AND on the child who was injured, AND the child's family. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• We had a kid that got a girl preggers in 7 th grade. He had bi polar issues and would bully a lot of kids. Two kids dropped out because of this kid . The school would reprimand but nothing was done about it. He even peed on a library book. But when he decide to buuly aop's kid in the school that was the last straw that broke the camel's back . He was told he was not the right fit for the school and told no to come back the following year. This is a private school. He was so out of line and needed medication. The mom did nothing to medicate this kid. He really needed help. Thank goodness other parents got involved and now he is doing better.
    Anonymous

• zero tolerance here. My 16 yo was being bullied. School cop stepped in and gave her bully a written warning letting her know that it was not tolerated and next step would be legal action.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

Next question in
What is the lamb warning?

Next question overall (Politics & Current Events)
Did you?