Why if you say anything about working hard to stay off PA do people on it get so pissy?

My sister is on PA and I really dont care.
She does infact need the help her husband walked out on her and 4 kids and she is looking for a job.
SHe had asked me tho why dont I quit my job and get on foodstamps?
I told her that I would rather work my butt off to avoid being on any PA .
She got pissy and started saying things like Oh what I dont try ? Why are you being so mean towards people on PA there is nothing wrong with it?
I looked at her and said I never said there was anything wrong with people getting help when they need it and never said you werent trying.
Why do people freak out like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• its because people can get offended easily. also they way you say it or put your words together may have a factor in it too. people think you are putting them down for being on PA.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 7:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Because you're sentence's words made her feel bad for being on PA. I know someone who was on PA plus got a car loan?????!!!!!! What the????? I've never been on PA but wonder if it'd be good for PA receivers to have to do volunteer work someplace to earn PA. Just a thought.

I feel bad for PA in stores, so many people look down on them for foodstamps. Sometimes though any kind of PA goes far and more babies are born into it without thought of getting off of it. That I don't think is right but what can you do. We're all different with different life situations.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• That is the thing tho she KNOWS I have no problem with her on it or anyone else that needs it.
    I was the one that took her down to get them when the SOB left her.
    Anonymous

• you know full well why she got mad,mmmmmmmm... lets see some one tells you stop working and get food stamps.and your honest respond is you rather work your butt off,nothing wrong with what you said and you didnt offend her by the way,you reminded her she is not trying hard enough,i totally believe its hard to get a job right now but to be encouraging others to get on food stamps is just flat out wrong.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Im on PA and am quite embarassed. Thank God its temporarily. Its a hand up, NOT A HAND OUT!
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 7:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• If you need to be on it that is one thing, but you also need to work your butt off in order to get off the PA rolls. Your sister is like far too many of the PA people who think oh just quit your job and collect a check for doing nothing. Most of the people on PA are several generations deep. In this economy it is easier for a lot of people to sit back and collect a check instead of seeking a job, they also do that with unemployment checks, just go to a place you know would never hire you, get a signature and call it in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad but true so many people do this each day and it is harder for those who need to use PA for a short time to tide them over to get the help because of people who live on it and don't try to better themselves.
    Anonymous

• To ask you why you don't quit and get on them is where my problem would be...
    Everyone needs helps once in a while whether it's from PA or an individual and that's okay.
    Her hubby walking out and leaving her to raise those kids with no help, she definetely needed help I'd assume.
    She got upset because you hit a nerve.. she's not as happy being on it as you might think.
    Working hard to stay above water isn't a concept some people want to think about and sometimes they're so depressed they just want everyone else to sink down with them (the depression) or they can't see a way out.
    Much luck to her and I seriously do mean that. My Mom raised 4 kids with NO help from my father so I'm not bashing your sister at all.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I guess your sister is defensive because she is on PA to make ends meet, maybe she is a bit jelous of you because you are making ends meet and not on PA. Maybe she feels embarassed or ashamed that she is on PA
    Anonymous

• Well, from what info you have provided, I don't think she should have been offended. You'd rather keep thejob you have. However, if someone out of the blue said something like that to me, I would be livid. I have been looking hard for a job for over a year, I currently have application out in over 20 locations, and file more every day. I have been on foodstamps since April. I am not proud of that fact, but I am not ashamed of it either. I'm trying my damndest to get a job, and have yet to apply for cash assistance (though I will besoon, I have no doubt).
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 9:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• She's probably embarrassed and over reacted. It's not easy being on or getting off PA and you have to deal with a lot of negativity from strangers. She probably just took out her frustrations on you. It wasn't right, but I can see it.
    Anonymous