What's your state's driving age, do you think it should be raised?

lfl

Asked by lfl at 6:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• 16- seems resonable to me.
    I think they should make elderly re-due driving classes. They need to be freshenned up on the standards after 65.LOL
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 7:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• the age is 16, no i think that is a sufficiant age
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• it is 16. It really needs to be 18 and there should be a law that they can't drive fast cars until they are 25. No reason they can't have a small engine car
    Anonymous

• In our state the age is 16 for their permit and 16.5 for their license. I do not think it needs to be raised. Accidents happen to all inexperienced drivers no matter if they are 16 or 18. The big question is how to make some teens realize that bad things can happen if they use bad judgement behind the wheel. I feel it is the parents call when and if a teen gets their license, not the government's. I firmly believe in contracts between the new driver and the parents. After all it is usually our car and our insurance rates that will be effected. When our children reach 18 and are out of our house, then they can make their own minds up but until then the parent rules. Deal with it.
    munbeam

Answer by munbeam at 8:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• In Colorado you can get your permit on your 15th birthday and your license on your 16th (under 18 you have to have your permit for a year). I think if you're under 18 though, you are not allowed to drive with anyone under 21 for the first year that is not family (you can drive your little sibling to soccer practice but you can not drive your friend to school with you).

I am 22 almost and do not have my license. I was always scared to drive because of the amount of idiots on the road... if it were up to me, I'd raise the national driving age to 18, just like it is in Switzerland!! They have a higher driving age, a lower drinking age (16 or 17, can't remember), and they require you to take a driver's ed class, your parent can't teach you to drive. There are MUCH fewer accidents there.
    CoffeeOrDeath

Answer by CoffeeOrDeath at 10:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• In Wisconsin, you can get a permit at 15 1/2 and your license at 16. It is a graduated license where the child has to have so many hours with the parent, only so many passengers in the vehicle. I do not think it needs to be raised. You have to go through a licensed driving school unless you are over 18 years old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• 16 and no. I drove at 16, you drove at 16, my parents - well they drove when they felt like it. But, the point is, why is it ok for millions of people to drive at 16 and now we want to restrict our kids? If we move it to 18, they are old enough to be drafted, vote, and drive all in the same year. What sense does that make? We already have a graduated license in NC. I haven't seen any difference in the accident rates. My son has been in 3 wrecks and none were his fault. It was the adults who made the mistakes and hit him and he was injured all three times. The report was "Teenagers injured in rollover crash". It didn't read "Adult, speeding because she was late ran a stop sign and hit a car with 4 teenagers in it and rolled them over in the road" Nope, it was the teenagers who were focused on. Scape goats, they are all scape goats.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• 16 and NO ... I think it should be raised ... or there should be more time to have your permit ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• op here, jesse123456 I responded to you in a different post about something else- I'm sorry I didn't catch you son was injured in the most recent accident. I'm the one who's son had a head on himself and was not injured at all, his car was absolutely totaled.

I think a problem, in my state in surrounding towns, is that the high schools are congested plus a ton of kids are allowed to drive cars to school. A lot of kids have gotten injured in those towns back and forth to school and some in evenings.

I think kids not being allowed to drive to high school in congested areas -high schools should make those regulations and lives would be saved.Two towns in particular in my state have had many many kids, actually its three towns and they are all next to each other, killed teens killed in car accidents from their own driving inabilities.

I used to think the age should be raised, but lately I think disallowing schooldriving btr.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I have no idea what it is here. I didn't get my license til I was 20 and my husband was 19 when he got his. I think16 is WAY too young to be driving. it should be 18 as the minimum IMO.
    Anonymous