Is it ok to let my 4 month old just cry it out?

At least four times a day she will decide that its time to cry for no reason. Ill try every thing to comfort her but she strill just crys. She has had Colic since the day she was born and had Acid Reflux about a month ago but the doctor say that its gone now. So is it ok to set her in her crib and cry her self to sleep or should I keep conforting and holding her until she goes to asleep?

purplecraze579

Asked by purplecraze579 at 7:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sorry I got to this so late. There is this great video they showed us at the hospital. "The Happiest Baby on the Block". She's just past what they call "the 4th trimester", but some of these things may still hold true for your 4 month old.
    1. Swaddle-(may be a little big for that, but still wrapping in a comfy blanket or using the blanket sleepers can work.)
    2.Side-babies like to be on their side. Try the football hold.
    3. "SHHH"-in the womb it is white noise. Young babies respond well to shushing
    4. Swing- they love to be rocked, bounced, try a swing motion with your arms
    5. Suck- some babies need this to top it off. Pacifiers aren't always a bad thing, though they don't work for every baby.

Some babies just need one or two of these things. Some need all. Try them in that order until you find what works for yours.
    Good luck!
    Jennibug

Answer by Jennibug at 1:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• some people use the furber method(sorry i prolly spelled that wrong) where u just start lettin them soothe their selves to sleep and stuff i personally couldnt handle that if i were u i would hold my baby and comfort them
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• if she is changed,bathe,fed and you tried its ok,but just for fun or laziness then no,i use to move my son around in his swing everywhere i was at,and he was fine,but the second he cried i knew he needed something.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i dont think a aby will cry for no reason its just that we may not know why every single time they are fussy. my daughter cries to the top of her lungs every time we go to a public place, but i NEVER just sit and let her cry i just do what i can to find out whats wrong. think you should just hold and comfort her until you can find out whats bothering her. Hopefully i didnt sound rude or mean.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 7:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• What does her dr say? Mine told me to let them cry. Not for huge periods of time. I couldn't handle that myself. But if you pick her up every time. She'll know how to get to you no matter how old she is. Your intuition is a good judge. Mommies usually know exactly what to do eventually. Is she your first? If not, go by your experience with the last baby.
    Tru2Him4E

Answer by Tru2Him4E at 7:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• my son will be 2 months on the 20th and he will scream for like 3 hours aday...he isnt hungy he doesnt need burped he doesnt need changed and he isnt constipated so if ive tried everything i let him cry to calm down...once he stops i go into his room and i pick him up(unless he is asleep)and i tell him i love him and hug him and kiss him...but sometimes you just have to let them cio...and his doctor said his was perfectly ok to let him cry....i never let hm go past 30 minutes though...
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Ditto Suzzanna
    Anonymous

• If it's to go to the bathroom for a minute or to cool yourself down, then a few minutes isn't going to hurt. CIO is not intended for babies under 6 months, but even Ferber has revised that. A 4 month old doesn't just cry for the sake of crying, something is bothering her, just cause you aren't sure of the reason doesn't mean that there isn't something motivating it. You can not spoil a 4 month old. I am surprised by all the people saying to go ahead.

Your mom and she wants comfort...you should at least be trying.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I do hold her when she crys but it seems that she gets picky about the way I hold her. At first she will stop crying Then I will go to sit down and she will cry becasue im sitting so I will stand up, If I start talking to someone she will start crying until I stop. If I change rooms she will cry until im in the one she wants. I couldnt go back into my apartment for al ittle over two hours today becasue the second I would step inside she would start screaming like something was killing her and our neighbors get annoyed.
    purplecraze579

Answer by purplecraze579 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• well for all those mothers who thinks its so horible to let ur baby cio and to say u cant spoile a 4 month old baby. all are wrong in my opinion.
    Anonymous