Were you told your baby was going to be large and it ended up not being so big?

I was told at my doc appt recently that according to the last Sono my baby was huge. I was 23 weeks at the time of the sono and im 28 weeks now. My doc said the measurments could be off but she could promise me he wasnt going to be a little baby. How accurate do you think this is? Ive also had a glucose test and it was normal so it cant be GD

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i was told my second son was going to be no bigger than 6 lbs...i had him 2 weeks early and he was 8 lbs 3 oz....and if i wouldve carried the last 2 weks he would be 10 pounds...i wouldnt worry.....best of luck
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Ultrasound has been known to be off by as much as TWO POUNDS. It is NOT accurate in the LEAST. Your doctor has no way of knowing how big your baby is going to be, and the chances of you growing a baby that is TRULY too big for you to birth is really REALLY slim. Doctors are so quick to cut these days that it seems normal to us. It's not normal, and you're fine.

At 20 weeks they told me my baby weighed twice as much as she should. I was so sure I was going to have a giant baby that when she came out and they weighed her and called out "FIVE POUNDS FIFTEEN POINT SIX OUNCES" I was horrified and scared. How could my baby only be not quite six pounds?! I was so scared that she was early or unhealthy and dying. I was really freaking out.

Don't let a doctor's promise of a big baby scare you. It's not about how big your baby is, but rather what your pelvis can handle, which is an unknown variable.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i was told the opposite actually... they did a sono during my induction at the hospital and told me she was going to be roughly 8/9 lbs.. she ended up being 10.2 and i didnt have GD either. sono's arent always accurate so i wouldnt worry, i dont put much faith in them at all anymore.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I don't remember how many ounces/pounds they can be off, but all 3 of my kids were supposed to be huge!! None of them were. My largest was 8 pounds 2 ounces. My firstborn was supposed to be over 9 pounds and he was only 7 lbs 9 oz. I know the guesstimate the weight by measuring the bones. I am guessing the weight has been so off with my kids because they were SO long. My firstborn was 23 inches!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I didn't have any ultrasounds with my pregnancies. And no one ever did guesstimates because there is no way to know. U/Ss can be off by a couple of pounds. If they think 11 pounds it's probably not going to be just 5, though, lol.
    (Although there are huge differences, sometimes!)

And really, baby will come out big or not, right? ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• you're intuition will tell you if something is wrong or not, so if the baby is big or small, you'll be ok. with my ds, at the end i felt like something was wrong, i had the doctors do an ultra sound for me and sure enough he was big, they said about 12lbs. he ended up 10 5 22, and i wasn't even dialated at full term. so i ended up having a c-section. with my dd, i had the doctors keep up with my dd's weight, because i wanted a vbac, they said she was supposed to be about 7lbs, she ended up 8lbs. i still needed a c-section though cuz i was a week late and still not dialated. so don't worry, your body and intuition will tell you if something is wrong, just don't ignore it
    Anonymous

• I was told my LO was going to be 9 pounds by the way he measured, he wasn't even 8 pounds! I was so upset! (long story)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i think chances are your baby won't be large. but remember 9 lbs is totally normal.

it didn't happen to me but it happened to my cousin. well, actually they said her baby was going to be about 7.5 lbs and he ended up being just 5 lbs. healthy but small. that's 2.5 lbs off!
    Anonymous

• I was told my baby was 4lbs 9oz at 36 weeks (yes under weight) at 37 weeks i was induced and he was 4lbs 15oz. so mine was pretty close.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2009