How do I help my ADHD teenage daughter face her condition?

I have a 16 yo daughter will ADHD w/out Hyperactivity, but has one of the worst inattentive disorders her psyciatrist has seen in her 20 years. We did the meds when she was younger but she only takes her Daytrona patches now when absolutely necessary, tests etc. She has seen psychiatrists, psychologist and been through life skills training a number of times over the years. She is still completely disorganized and forgetful, now she is struggling to pass her classes. I don't know what else to do for her. She just wont face the facts and do anything to help herself remember or stay on tract.

munbeam

Asked by munbeam at 7:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• We have two daughters with ADHD. One is 12, the other 15. We make sure they take their medicine every morning. We keep it and give it to them. We also make sure they stay very organized. We have them get their school clothes ready the night befor and have all of their school stuff together the night before. They use planners in school and we check them to be sure they're using them. They're on schedules and have routines. They also have bedtimes to be sure they get enough rest (they have to take meds to get to sleep which is common with ADHD children. It's hard for their brains to "shut down"). We also explain to them that doing all these things will help them in their daily lives. I'm not sure that any of this will hope, but I hope so. Good luck!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Is there a reason she doesn't take medication other than for tests? Not judging, just curious.
    Anonymous

• The meds will NOT work if she doesn't take them daily. Meds for ADHD need to be built up in the system in order to work. She can't just take them when she needs to pass a test. Also, stop thinking she can just do something to help her remember, it doesn't work that way. My son is ADHD and has a horrible time remembering, no matter what we do or say. It is part of who he is and he needs lots of reminders to get through the day. Strict schedules and routines are very important for children with ADHD, hyperactive or not. My son gets all thrown off when his schedule is changed. I have to give him fair warning of any changes. The planners only work if the teachers are willing to make sure she is filing them in and bringing her work home.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• She is at the age where she can and will make her own choices.I think if you were subtle with your advice, she may listen to it.Meds or no meds, she has to learn to live with what she has.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:38 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Help her find some information on the internet that is written for teens. I believe kidshealth.org has info aimed at different age gruops. Also as others have said routine and diet are important as well as writing things down ds goes through sooo many postit notes I tease him that he must be eating them but it helps him keep track of what he needs to do and the materials he needs to do it.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 4, 2009