is there an age limit to tubal ligation?

i wanted them done after my 1st child and they said no because at the time i was only 20 and said i had to be 25. well im glad i didnt because in the meantime i had another child and am about to be having another. but after the 3rd is born i know for sure it's what i want lol....but i'll only be 23. ill be having her by c-section so they can just do it then, i dont see why they wouldnt since it'll be my 3rd baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'd talk to your doc and explain that while you're "only" 23 (I hate when docs assume you're stupid because of your age) you've got your 3 babies and you're content and happy with them. They may make an exception for you.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• in ny its 21
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• It depends on where you live. I think different hospitals have different guidelines for it as well. I'd say ask your OB.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• in ohio its 21....im 20 with 2 kids and i turn 21 in 12 days and i had to wait(my son is almost 7 weeks) so my hubby is getting a vasectomy....and its fine by me..one less surgery for my(i had 2 c-section)....time for him to feel a little pain
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes. they can do it after the delivery and the age depends on doctors and hospital policy what the age limit will be
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• They don't want you to regret the choice. They understand that you're old enough to make that choice for yourself, but they most likely still see you as a child due to your young age. I very much agree with them not letting you do it at 20 years old, as you said you are glad that you didn't. However, it is on the fence as to whether they'll let you do it even now regardless of how many children you have. Talk it over with your OB. It should be your complete decision regardless, but make sure your OB is behind you incase there has to be some persuading.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2009