Am I a PPD risk?

I had my beautiful baby boy 1 week ago today. I have been on Zoloft the past few months because of hormonal changes. I am finding myself having obsessive thoughts such as "When I die my baby will be all alone" and "he's going to leave me". I do not want him to grow up, and I wish he would stay a baby forever and I cry heavily over it. I am getting choked up just typing this. I have had anxiety issues for years and OCD and I am getting concerned. I don't want to leave his side. My Medicaid is only good for another month or so and then I will have no insurance. Any advice is welcome, thank you.

EarthMom23

Asked by EarthMom23 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Health

• Yes you are at risk for PPD, you past mental issues is what is the greatest risk, but just having a baby also puts us all at risk because of the hormone changes. Most areas have a mental health facility that is income based, so call around. Also some Dr office's do a sliding fee scale for lower incomes or people without insurance. While some of your fears are normal, you must take great care no to let them take over your life. Talk to a close friend etc to at least get them out. But you really do need to find someone capable of handling this professionally.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• talk to the doctor now so you can get on one that comes in a generic. Most pharmacys are now price matching walmarts $4 deal. I know that made a huge difference for me because we could afford it.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 9:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Forgot to mention, what you are going through right now is called baby blues at it lasts about 2 weeks, if it lasts longer than that, it can turn into PPD. You can also contact your OB and tell them and they can give you meds to help but you will still need someone to talk to and manage your symptoms and progress..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2009