Can you request to be induced a little early??

Okay, I know there is a lot of debate about early induction...but I swear I have a reason other than just wanting him out. I have been experiencing a lot of complications through this pregnancy, & finally I feel it is just taking a major toll on me & my health. There is a good chance he'll come early as it is (some are even surprised I've made it as far as I have - 36weeks now), so I may not even have to even request it...but I'm thinking of asking between 37 & 38weeks. Do doctors take requests if I feel it is best for me & baby, or do I have to wait for their call? I originally left my old doctor because she wanted to deliver me early, but I thought she was just being pushy...now I'm thinking the same thing. Any advice, suggestions, etc? Please no bashing. Like I said, I know this is a touchy subject, but it's a serious question...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You have every right to request to be induced early. You, as the patient and the mother have the first say in the health of your child and your body. It is common for women to request being induced early for many different reasons. Some as simple as them being far too uncomfortable, to something more serious like our situation. Present your case to your OB and see if they are willing to work with you on this. They might understand and be willing to do the neccisary tests to see if baby is healthy and strong enough to be induced early. It may also take a little fight to get the OB to agree with you. However, there is no harm in asking, and I'm sure your OB is very willing to hear you out. As I said, you have the first say in how the health of yourself and your child is handled.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I requested it and they wouldn't do it. That baby will come when she's ready. Trust your body. Your baby needs your body now more than ever to grow as much as she can. Don't be selfish because you can't handle it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• You can request anything. Whether they approve it or not is another thing but if you want it, ask for it

Answer by admckenzie at 10:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• You can ask and all they can do is say no, which they probably will unless you or your baby's life is at risk.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Only a doctor can say induction is medically needed for mother or baby. I asked for a section that was scheduled to be a week before my ob wanted it. I was given tests of maturity on my baby and tests were mature. My daughter has had a lifetime of nearly 20 years of lung troubles, asthma, rsvirus as a baby, pneumonia. It sounds like you want induction cause of the worry of your waiting longer. Ask your ob to help you get a high risk ob and also a neonatologist opinions plus any doctors who are specialists in your own medical problems. If they all say early is not necessary then just sit tight, as hard as that is to do, and breathe slowly for baby to grow more.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• The high risk OB is the one I left a month ago...she was pushing for a c-section at 34weeks & I wanted more say in my medical treatment. Part of me wishes I had stayed, but at the same time I was able to keep him in longer than she had wanted me too...now I'm just worried about the problems causing health risk for me. My headaches are almost crippling lately, I can barely eat (I'm basically living off of water at the moment which I don't think is safe for either one of us), I'm on bed rest to make sure my BP doesn't spike again & to make sure my uterus doesn't rupture (I think it's rupture...something about how my uterus could become damaged because it is heart-shaped), etc etc etc...like I had said, it's not just because I don't want to do this anymore, I'm just getting worried about the health risks...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• You could ask to be hospitalized until the baby is born because you are worried about the risks. If they won't hospitalize you just keep going to the hospital when you feel bad.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Mama~ work on getting your stuff taken care of. You need to really pamper yourself. Take really great care to focus on anything and everything to be comfortable, safe, and healthy.

Elective (UNnecessary) induction ADDS risks to you and to your baby. I really don't think you want that, right? So finding another way to get through is very important.
    As you might have guessed, I have a LOT of info on why this time is important for baby to be in not out.
    But basically, baby is inside because that's the best place for baby to be: let baby decide when it's Time.

**But I can send you some of this info, no problem. ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2009