Is my son a prankster or sick?

My 6 month old has been coughing since we brought him home from the hospital some days he doesn't cough at all and he nevers coughs at night so i dont know what gives ..sometimes when hes playing and he sees us leave the room he coughs a little and then laughs when he sees us come back in(rushin in thinkin hes choking) lol and sometimes he coughs when hes laying on his belly but its a really dry cough what gives?

aidensmama8

Asked by aidensmama8 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think he's messing with you. At this age babies are learning cause and effect, and they're playing around with learning what they can do to make Mommy and Daddy pay attention. Keep an eye on him but unless he's feverish or it's a wet-sounding cough.

And you are lucky -- you can leave your 6 month old in the room alone? Mine would've burned the house down.
    CoffeeOrDeath

Answer by CoffeeOrDeath at 10:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My son is also 6 months old and has done the same thing since day one. I put a humidafier in his room and all. Now I know that when he does it it's for attention he will do it then look at us. Sometime he really is coughing but I think they figure out that's how they get mom's attention and they can be cute little fakers. :)
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 10:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i figured so lol yea i put him in a toy or on his play mat in the living room while i do dishes in the kitchen we have a big bay window without the glass (the only way i know to describe it) so i can watch him and do the dishes but if he gets bored or wants to b picked up he either crys or coughs lol
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Since you brought him home from the hospital, you mean birth six months ago or has he been hospitalized since then? Bronchitis can be a cough like that, so can a viral cough. The second doesn't require too much care. Record the cough and if you can his body language on video when he seems in distress. Ask you ped on next visit. Bronchitis for example does not always have a fever with it and neither does reactive airway disease which is an offshoot of asthma. I have an asthmatic child who had r s virus in infancy plus pneumonia, bronchitis.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• since birth
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• It's unusual for a baby to cough in the summer. It could be from exposure to environmental tobacco smoke or pollution. Smoke on clothes or hair can bother babies. It's important to talk to your baby's health care provider because it could be

•cystic fibrosis
    •immunodeficiency
    •suppurative lung disease
    •cardiac disease
    •congenital lung problem
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• When my five month old is hungrey she will do a cry and cough thing. She also will cough when she wants our attention because she will smile when we look at her just like yours does. She has done it sench she was two months and we asked the doctor about it and she said that they will do things like that. The doctor said what probraly happend was she did it a few time in the same day and she started to relize thats what gets us to come to her and that she was fine. Id still get have your doctor check him out just to be on the safe side.
    purplecraze579

Answer by purplecraze579 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Hahahahaha my twins are little fakers too! They just started this a couple months ago. They ate 7 months now. How funny I thought mine were the only ones who did this!!! Thanks ;)
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• sympathy coughs....
    Could be a small cold
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:25 AM on Oct. 4, 2009