is it pink eye?

i searched pink eye, but i have hard times understanding things. im not sure if my daughter has it but this morning her eye was teary and it looked like there was "booger like" stuff in it. its also red and her eye is puffy. can eye drops be used on her? or does it have to be prescribed?

lilshortie415

Asked by lilshortie415 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is she?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• If it is pink eye your daughter's eyes will get so crusty that she will have a hard time opening them. If it is just booger like stuff in her eye it sounds like it may be something else, not pink eye. That being said, if it is pink eye she will need to go to the doctor and have some drops for her eyes prescribed.
    mommyofJames08

Answer by mommyofJames08 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• We have been fighting pink eye for over a week now. First off, you DO NOT have to have booger/goopy stuff coming out of her eye for it to be considered pink eye. I initially thought this b/c I have had it in the past, but, in our situation it is not the case. We have had red, swollen, kind of itchy, and severly watery eyes. Eye drops WILL NOT cure your child of pink eye. If it's bacterial, you must get an RX and will not be contagious after 24-48 hours of being on it. If it's viral, there is nothing you can take to cure the pink eye...you can only treat the symptoms. With viral you are contagious for alot longer. I have viral pink eye which means I have to let it run it's course with prescription medications totally useless. I can only treat the symptoms using steriods and hot compresses. Sounds to me like it's very possible your DD has pink eye. It is highly contagious and I would go get it checked out immediately.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 10:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• It could also be allergies
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2009