How do my fellow Christians celebrate Halloween?

I want to dress my son up as an angel with white feathery wings with a little halo while he is still young enough to get away with it. 17 months is not to old right? My husband does not want to celebrate Halloween so if anyone has any ideas on how to convince him tht would be great!

mommyofJames08

Asked by mommyofJames08 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• http://www.allaboutgod.com/christian-halloween.htm
    Anonymous

• Thanks.
    mommyofJames08

Answer by mommyofJames08 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Sorry, had to check on baby. I posted the link and didn't have time to type :). I am Christian but I guess you would say more relaxed. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. My husband also enjoys it so we don't have many issues. My friend who is born again Christian is very strict when it comes to Halloween. Even so their church does a Halloween party every year. Nothing bloody or scary. They teach the bible like the link mentions.
    Anonymous

• My son was 7 years old when he asked to be an Arch-angel. He had a gladiator outfit with feathered wings found on e-bay he held a foam sword and had a side kick of his year old sister in a lace gown and matching wings and a halo of white roses.
    I understand the concern of pagan origins but Christmas isn't really the birth of Christ just the replacement of another holiday. The Catholics attempted the same conversion with the re-naming of Halloween to All Saints Day.
    The gruesome, ghoulish, tricking of others, and paying to scare ourselves doesn't reflect the lifestyle that most Christians like to portray. But that same day many proud parents let their children dress in something cute, creative and G-rated to show off their "Angels" to our close neighbors and grandparents while getting a special treat.
    Other kids can be cruel. It can lead to being teased or them being resentful. A compromise is hosting a costume party.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• With chocolate---does your husband know about the free chocolate? God likes Chocolate.
    Anonymous

• I don't acknowledge Halloween as a holiday... if you google it's origins, you might not want to either.
    Anonymous

• Bottom line....God looks at the heart. If you're celebrating Satanism, withcraft, or other forms of demonic evil, that's obviously not going to meet with God's approval. If you're just looking for some free candy, hey, I don't think God has a problem with that. So, let's take a chill pill, brothers and sisters in Christ, and not make mountains out of molehills.
    Anonymous

• I'm a Christian and we do celebrate Halloween. There are a lot of things we do today whose origins are less than holy. I just don't take it too seriously. I don't worship Satan and I don't practice witchcraft. The most sinful thing I do on Halloween is eat massive amounts of chocolate. I feel like I'm a better witness to non-Christians when I choose my battles-I stand against things that are truly evil. If you stand against everything, who is going to listen to the wonderful news you have to tell them about Christ? We are IN the world but not OF the world.
    Momincollege23

Answer by Momincollege23 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I am not a Christian or a Pagan, but I do know of some "background" information on the origins of the modern Halloween that may put your husband's mind at ease. Originally called Samain, it began as the new year. It was not so much a religiously based celebration as it was a celebration of the harvest. You have to understand that the ancient cultures that recognized such "holidays" were farming people, and therefore their "calendars" were based on the seasons, moon phases and such. Today, one can still find their influence in the farmer's almanacs that people still use. Ancient people would pull their crops, celebrate around bonfires, and thank their deities for a bountiful harvest. The tradition of dressing up started in the belief that evil spirits could be tricked and warded off if people dressed like them (you know, so the evil spirits would think they were just the same). :)
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• when my son was little.. i would take him to church events (harvest festivals, hallelujah nights etc)... we stopped doing the door to door trick or treat stuff when he was 5. see if ur husband would be okay with going to a church event.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2009