My son was vaccinated for the chickenpox once but is there a chance he could have the chickenpox now?

My son was vaccinated at 12 months for the chickenpox (varicella). He is now 22 months old. Tonight when I was getting him in his pj's I saw red spots on his arms and legs and a rash on the back of his shoulder. He only touched the spots once but I think that's because he was naked and noticed them. My question is... does he just have a rash or could there be a chance he has the chickenpox? How should I take care of him if he does have the chickenpox?

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like a rash to me since he isn't itching them. He can get chickenpox's still, even though he had the shot, it just cuts down on the chances. If it is still there tomorrow, I would think about taking him to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• About 9 out of 10 people that have had 2 doses of the vaccine are completely protected from chicken pox. If your son has only had 1 dose he could have the chicken pox.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• You can still get chicken pox even though you have been vaccinated for it.
    Chicken pox usually appears first on the abdomen, back or face.
    Chickenpox blisters are usually less than a quarter of an inch wide, have a reddish base, and appear in bouts over 2 to 4 days.

A virus causes chickenpox, so the doctor won't prescribe antibiotics. However, antibiotics may be required if the sores become infected by bacteria. This is pretty common among kids because they often scratch and pick at the blisters.

You can help relieve the itchiness, fever, and discomfort of chickenpox by:

Using cool wet compresses or giving baths in cool or lukewarm water every 3 to 4 hours for the first few days. Oatmeal baths, available at the supermarket or pharmacy, can help to relieve itching.

Putting calamine lotion on itchy areas (but don't use it on the face, especially near the eyes).

Never use aspirin to reduce pain or fever in chil
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• even with the vaccine you can still get the chicken pox...i got the vaccination at 12months and right before kindergarten and i got the chicken pox while in kindergarten
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Chicken pox always form a blister. If you have ever seen fire ant bites, they look like those. If it is a rash due to an allergy to food or laundry detergent, they might get itchy. If it is an allergy, putting cortizone on the raised, red bumps helps with the itching.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• NO vaccine is 100% and the chicken pox has one of the lower rates of effectiveness especially if he has only had one dose. There is a chance if he was exposed to any one who had CP or recently had the vaccine since it is a live virus vaccine and can shed. It sounds more like just a rash though and I wouldn't be too concerned. I would call and try to get him into his regular doc tomorrow if you google chicken pox and they look like the same spots.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Medical questions should be asked of your pediatrician.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• No vaccine is ever a guarantee. My son had the full vaccine (two doses) and has had it twice since then, both times confirmed by a doctor through biopsy - the doctor didn't believe it was possible. The first time was mild - only about 12 blisters, and no fever. The second time he was covered in blisters, out of school for two weeks, and miserable. Needless to say, I haven't bothered paying for the vaccines with the other kids - just not worth it if they're going to get it anyway!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My oldest had the vaccine at 15 months and at age 6 or 7 (1st grade) had a small bout of chicken pox - probably a dozen or so spots and a fever. That said, my youngest (10 months as the time) recently had a rash like that - small blisters that I would have swore were cp. Doc said no, it was either a reaction to a different virus or something in his environment. It ended up being a milk allergy diagnosed at 12 months (after 2 months of docs, tests, etc). I gave him oatmeal baths and slathered his body in Aveeno Baby lotion. Doc said use cortisone sparingly because it is a steroid and they don't like to give babies steroids unless absolutely necessary. She said if it got so bad, to put a thin layer of it on just to help the itch, but don't use it regularly.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2009