Sign Language

Do you teach your child/infant sign language? and if yes, what words?

CassCass

Asked by CassCass at 10:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• mine had a speech delay and they wanted to teach her sign language at the age of 2, i felt (and the therapist after meeting her) that if she learned sign language she would choose not to use words vocally so we didn't do it. i've heard of a lot of people having that problem when their child gets a little older, not wanting to use the words vocally since they have another way to express it. so i'd suggest if you do teach, do what my gf does w/her son (both her parents are deaf so she has to teach it to him in order for him to speak w/his grandparents) when he is old enough to speak, allow him to use the sign but if he refuses to use the word or try to use it, than he doesn't get what he wants w/o attempting the word as well (of course only if speaking is not a problem for the child)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• We have been trying to. So far "more" is what he knows. We have been trying "please" and "help" also.
    Anonymous

• Im sorry. i meant to also ask what age you started :)
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 10:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• You can start a child as young as 6 months with sign language. Start with more, eat, please, thankyou.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I started with clapping with my grandson and then more. We are now working on drink. He is 12 months.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• well my son(12mo) already knows please, thank you, eat, bed/night, and milk. i was just wondering when people start teaching their kids and what kind of words they start out with. oh and also how long did it take them to catch on and how did you go about teaching them? i just take his hand and make the sign with his hands and say the word and then do it myself and then with him again and tell him "good job!"
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 10:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i had actually thought about that happening, so im very glad you mentioned that. that is a very good idea
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 10:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes my 3yr old and I do sign. He has speech delay and does not say many words yet. With signing he can convey what he wants, and I can understand what he is trying to say. We have signs for please, more, thank you, milk, drink, eat, kitty... there are more that we do but I can't think of them right now.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• um... both my kids did signing and actuallly I've found it helped their language development. Actually both of mine spoke fairly early but I'd wonder why stop the sign it just gives the kid a larger vocab. and less frustration. Its actually simpler to speak (try signing with a baby and a toddler -- not fun -- my dd def. learned less than my ds) than sign b/c you can do it in more situations.

either way I signed alot back then so I would sign as I spoke basics: more, eat, drink, milk, cracker, please, thank you, mom, walk, play, favorite fruit, favorite toys and build into sentences -- yup my ds would say I want more food/eat please -- before 18 mon..
    Actually maybe it was a bad idea, he still won't stop talking. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Only because they had speech problems. They did not talk until they were close to 5. We signed and spoke everything to them. They picked up about 30 signs but as they talked more they dropped the signs. We did mostly nouns and verbs, some things like please, thank you, bathroom, pretty, nice, good, no, yes.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:13 AM on Oct. 4, 2009