Do u know anyone with swine flu? My sisters tech school 2 cases.

I am getting a swine flu vaccanation as soon as the doc has it in in October- but my babys ped. doc doesnt know for sure when they r getting it, and he cant get a regular flu shot till Oct 2oth cause they have had so many requests for kids to be vaccaniated.

pamom222

Asked by pamom222 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Health

• where do you live? im freaking out about the swine flu but im not sure if i wanna get the vaccine either. i live in ny, and there making mandatory for all health care workers to get it here, but theyre fighting it because they dont want to. why wouldnt they want to? so i dont know what to do.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My doctor's office is only giving it to kids because that is the age group being affected the hardest and that is if they even get the vaccine. My son's pediatrician is recommending that he get is because he has asthma and is in the high risk group. I just got the regular flu shot yesterday and all I have is a sore arm. My son will be getting his flu shot on Friday. Not so sure about the Swine Flu vaccine though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I live in Pa 10 miles outside of Phila. and I went on Web Md to look up swine flu and I think most docs recommend getting it especially babies and the elderly. My brother is a health care worker and he is getting it. U have to make ur own decission.
    pamom222

Answer by pamom222 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes, I know people who have had the swine flu. My son's therapist family had it. She said it was not even as bad as the normal flu. She is also a teacher and has seen students with it. It is in almost all the schools here. I wouldn't dream of getting the shot for me or my son. It's a new product and you don't know the long term side effects.
    Anonymous

• There was a man on the new last night whos pre- teen daughter died from it - do u want to take that chance? They have had time to test it- that is why it was not given last year- it is a personal decission.
    Anonymous

• I live in New Mexico. There have been several deaths in the state.
    Anonymous

• My daughter and husband had it this summer. It was rough on them, but no worse than the average flu. It did not convince me to get the shot for any of us. Myself and our other two kids did not get sick. I had a little malaise for a day or so, but I did not get anything full blown.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose.
    We are focusing on prevention. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine. It is my understanding that the H1N1 vaccine will have Thimerisol/mercury. As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective.
    cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key. Here is what Dr Sears is saying about the vaccine: http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/ . if you read through the comments, you will see that he is not getting the vax.
    You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

cont.

• Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_. The children were treated twice daily for 6 months... Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2009