Birth plan for a c-section?

I am 40 weeks pregnant & not dilating at all so my doctor has scheduled me for a c-section on the 12th (if baby doesn't come by then) so I need help setting up my birth plan please. I want to breastfeed & have my baby with me the whole time. What else should I include in it?

Thank You!

ClaudieOct3rd

Asked by ClaudieOct3rd at 11:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well baby won't be with you the whole time, you have to go into recovery until you can move your legs at the least. so they will take baby to the nursery for that time period. just let them know you plan to breast feed so no pacifier or bottle until you can feed, unless it is absolutely needed until than. (if you plan on no pacifier that is)
    otherwise, theres not much else to include in it, since the point of a birth plan is more along the lines of how you want the delivery to go. just let the nurses prepping you know that you want to breast feed, and when they bring baby from the nursery they will ask if you want to room in or not and you can let them know than
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• if you want that baby in there with you the whole time you will need someone in the room with you as well. you can't get out of the bed for a long few hours, and you can't just get up and get the baby if he starts crying, and the nurses are never there right away. even after you can get up, still have someone there cuz holding the baby will be painful. you'll find yourself holding a pillow to your stomach while standing up, walking, really just doing about anything. I had to use the nursery for my son cuz even my husband couldn't be there the whole time, like he would run to the house to get something or do an errand, same with my dd. although with my dd they didn't have a nursery, so the nurses kept her at the nurses station until i had someone with me.

the plan: find people to take shifts so you have someone with you. there you go.
    Anonymous

• Who you want with you in the OR, how you want things like the epi/spinal handled, whether you want the curtain lowered at all to see the baby as s/he's coming out of you, whether you'd like pictures/video taken (if allowed by the hospital), whether you want your partner to help bathe the baby, if you want him to hold the baby immediately, before the bath or anything.

Go over a vaginal birth plan outline, and pick out the things that still apply. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• What meds you want/don't want. I didn't want morphine but since I didn't have that recorded anywhere, they just came in and added it to my IV afterward. I know at the hospital I used the normal procedure with a c-section was for the pediatrician to examine the baby in the nursery and then bring it back to the mother, or just let the mother rest for an hour in recovery. Know what your hospitals policies are and what they will allow you.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• And just for encouragement, I wasn't dilated at my last doctor's appointment either, and I went into labor three days later. So no dilation doesn't mean anything. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I just had a Awesome c-section 1 month ago and im up and about healed and sealed, I breastfed and started 1 hour after surgery, babies are not really hungry when they come out so you have time after the recovery room, Just Let everyone know over and over again Do not give your baby a bottle if you dont want him/her to have formula, thats what i did but you will still get that one dumb nurse that gives your baby a bottle. like they did w/ mines but it made no different my baby still wanted my breast.
    Mrs2009

Answer by Mrs2009 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• What do you need to be dilated by now for? You're just 40 weeks. (At the MID-point of your estimated 4-week due period. Which is also just an average.)
    It has no bearing on when/how you'll labor.

Setting a date kind of says there is something wrong~ but how do you know something WILL be wrong? What if you are still fine and healthy?

I have seen birth plans for cesareans, but think that it would be great for the safety of you & baby to plan on a normal delivery unless someone becomes unhealthy.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• These are a collection of suggestions for nursing after a cesarean birth. You can do it!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• doulala

• doulala