Has anyone on her had a really bad episiotomy?

I went to a group of obstetricians who are the best in our area but one is renowned for giving you an episiotomy when you don't really need one-guess who was on call when I was in labor? He cut me twice, and I had an epidural and didn't feel the cuts but I thought he was taking an awfully long time stitching me up. It wasn't until the epidural wore off (worst pain of my life!) and every nurse who checked me grimaced at the sight that I realized I'd been cut straight from my vagina to my anus. I was hardly able to care for my son-I couldn't sit for weeks, and I STILL have pain down there 2 years later. Has anyone else been butchered like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• not butchered, but with my son i had a level 4 so yeah it hurts still but he's only 7 weeks old i'm sorry, i hope it will eventually get better
    Anonymous

• I wasnt butchered but I was cut twice and TORE the rest of the way to my butt!! But my DD's heart was acting up so the doc wanted her out ASAP!! Although I didnt know she was in distress at the time and I didnt know I had been cut, I dont care now that I know why. My husband told me the doctor said (to a nurse) "We need to get this baby out now!!". I was in alot of pain afterwards, but only for a few weeks, but I would have been much worse pain had I lost my daughter!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I tore pretty badly when I had my daughter. I don't understand why no one said anything. You'll know to have a birth plan next time and make sure someone is watching the doctor to make sure he doesn't cut you!

This happens. You need to confront this doctor. He's never going to change his ways until he starts realizing that he's not going to be able to cut women like that and get away with it. You need to tell him that what he did was completely unnecessary, is in no way supported by evidence and made your life unbearable when you should be bonding with your baby. Tell him how much it hurts and tell him that you won't be back to the practice because of it. And then never go back.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I got cut too far into my vagina all the way down to my anus. Had over 1000 stitches and was in the hospital for 5 days because the cut was so bad it wasn't healing properly. I've been pregnant two times after and my vagina hurts when I'm having sex and when the baby gets big the pressure makes that spot hurt as well. I quite that doctor after the bad cut. I have to live with the pain now.
    Anonymous

• With my oldest I was cut and it hurt for a very long time. I don't think I was "butchered" tho. Sex was uncomfortable for nearly 2 years I'd guess but I think I tore a couple of the stitches out (I found out the hard way to blot, not wipe).
    With my second delivery I started telling him early in the pregnancy to not cut me, that I'd rather tear and even in delivery I reminded him to not cut me. I did tear but the healing time was so much faster. Back a few years ago the doctors were told that them doing a "clean" cut was better and less chance of infection than us tearing and some just don't like to change their methods. With a man, he has never nor will he ever experience that first hand to know what it's like so maybe that's it. I told my ob in detail what it was like and why I'd prefer to tear.
    I've never been the same down south, but it doesn't hurt anymore :)
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I agree - you need to confront him. After my 1st, my doctor cut me without telling me while I was numb from the epidural ... it was a very violating thing. Later I had trouble with it healing (my stiches grew into the wound instead of dissolving!), and when I went back the doctor, I gave him a piece of my mind! The next year, I heard that a new doc had joined the practice and they weren't doing episiotomies anymore unless you had had one already. It really didn't make me feel any better, but I think it's worth it to speak up! The reason stuff like this still happens is because mothers have been silent too long. We're the consumers and we need to flex our muscles a little to get better treatment in the delivery room. Sorry this happened to you and hope you feel better soon!
    Serenyd

Answer by Serenyd at 6:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2009