Due date moved up, is baby too small?

I am 23 wks pregnant with my first son, he's due Feb 1st 2010. At first the due date was Jan 17th, but my first ultrasound showed baby was 2 weeks too small! Dr. moved the due date up to Feb 1 at this point, and sent me for a "high risk" ultrasound at 21 weeks due to the baby's size and the low position of my placenta covering my cervix. ultrasound tech said the baby was 13 oz (right on track for 21 weeks, even a little big!) but i did not think to ask about my cervix position thinking that the dr. could tell me all i needed to know a week later. However when i visited the dr. the next week he had not recieved the report and asked me what showed up in the ultrasound!! Now my paranoia is kicking in and i'm really concerned about my son's size, etc. Is it usual for due dates to be moved up by this much? If my baby is just too small, how can i get him to grow more? Please give advice this is my first pregnancy!

RenaudN

Asked by RenaudN at 11:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ultrasound is really bad for telling how far along you are after about 12 weeks. And it's also really bad for measuring baby. That, and it's totally possible you have your dates wrong. Don't freak out... your doctor's just being a douche.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I think the longer he or she stays in, the healthier he or she will be when they are born.And size doesn't determine health.Stress is bad for you and the baby anyway.So relax and take a nice long bath withcandles.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:04 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Ultrasounds are used to help determine the age of fetus. 1st ultrasound may have suggested that the original due date was off because of a mis-calculation of conception date. The exact thing happened with my first son- Ask about cervex position to ease your mind- but I wouldn't worry about the change in due date.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• The ultrasound isn't totally accurate. You can work on excellent nutrition & health, stress reduction... that's about it. Since you're due for a 4-week period surrounding that estimated due date, anyway, try not to worry.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• ati_13 is right. and as for the placenta, isnt that called placenta previa? when its covering the cervix? thats something they really need to make sure of. call your doctor
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 1:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Yes erika, it's a full or partial previa.
    With a full previa, the placenta covers the cervix, unfortunately it requires a cesarean for delivery.

BUT they are known to move-- the placenta is attached to the wall of the uterus. As the uterus grows-stretches, the placenta ends up higher & higher. (Depending on where it implanted.)

And for a partial previa, the placenta moves enough to be only part-way over the cervix. So sometimes mom can still birth vaginally.

It's something that will likely be rechecked through pregnancy (via U/S). Mom might have bleeding on occasion, too.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• A due date is not an expiration date, it is an estimate. Generally if a woman gives birth within 2 weeks either direction, you are still full term. I would actually be happy with having my date moved back, because then if you go over your first due date, they won't be so pushy with induction. Also, every woman's cycle is different, and due dates are calculated based on the average 28 day cycle, which would expect pregnancy to occur on or around day 14. Many women do not ovulate until much later in their cycles, plus stress or illness could affect your cycle too.

Don't worry about it! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2009