concerning foster parenting

I recently had a 10 week old little girl placed in my home. She was having trouble moving her bowels sn I took it upon myself to change her formula to a mixture my own children where brought up on. Needless to say all are healthy, no problems.
When I scheduled a visit with a pedi for her breathing I got read the riot act for doing the change. Later that afternoon the caseworker came and picked up said child because dyfs thought I was being harmful and abusive.
The next day an investigator came to my house to question me, still has to talk to my husband, and our fostering priveliges have been suspended until complete investigation is complete and if charges will be filed.
Am I crazy or was I nuts for becoming a foster parent in the first place? Does anyone know of anything like this happening to them??? Please help me to understand this mess. Thank you for any and all comments.

doing the change.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• was the "mixture" a premade formula or one you made yourself? A lot of places now feel if you do not breastfeed or use a premade or powdered formula, it is not acceptable. I don't think you are nuts for wanting to foster (but then I am looking into it currently). Just make sure you know what is expected of you next time.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• when you have a child in your home you treat them like your children, but a 10 week old baby you don't change formula. you took the child in for breathing problems and the pedi read you the riot act why? why, what would cause breathing problems? what was the major change? breathing problems could be a majority of things and the state placed that child in your care without doing a full health work-up, which they don't they just snatch and grab. I will bet you dollars to donuts the parents told them something, and they didn't pass it on to you. Now there is a potential lawsuit. So they have you shaking in your boots. I bet that parent told them something and they didn't document it, and you gave the baby something like soy, and now you are abusive and could go to jail. Give me a break. you do foster parenting not for the money, there is no money in it. you do foster parenting because you care. good luck momma~
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 12:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Unfortunatly, our system is out of whack. The soc. wrkr. is just doing thier job & going by gov. rules. You will get your priviliages back. Never stop helping other just because the laws are sometimes redicules. In the future, stay up to date on rules & regulations within the gov. The social worker probly knew you didnt mean any harm. But she should have had a little empathy.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2009