shopping for 3 people for two weeks for $150.00

I have set a goal for myself I am going grocery shopping tomorrow and I want to spend $150.00 only! I live in Oregon. I want to buy enough so that I DO NOT have to go shopping again for two weeks. I need lunch and dinner food for me dh and 3 year old dd.....because of dhs health conditon we have to eat healthy and he is allergic to fish so we eat a lot of chicken and rice and pork and rice....normally when I go shopping i spend about $150.00 and still have to go back within a week to buy more stuff...so does anyone have any advice on how to make this happen. I am a decent cook (working on it lol) I really need to do this and i feel like it is not possible...if you have questions please ask thank you so much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Shopping

• when you come up with a list share with me, dh is allergic to fish too AND he doesn't eat pork! SO beef and chicken for us, LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• hmm buy the grocery brand ONLY...dont buy unhealthy snacks only for DD maybe some juices and crackers/chips, a 5lb bag of rice is about what 7.00 so if u buy by the bulk maybe its cheaper, sometimes meat markets have cheaper meat...
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Part of the secret is to plan your meals - Example : Roast a whole chicken on Monday night. What it left over, strip off the bone and put in the freezer - use that chicken on Wednesday Night to make Chicken & Rice- if there is any chicken left, use it for chicken salad sandwiches. Tuesday night make spaghetti - what's left over, freeze - on Friday night, chop it up, add tomatoes, pesto and cheese and bake "Easy Spaghetti Bake". On Thursday night make tacos - take all the leftovers (lettuce and tomato included) and put it all in a bowl, freeze. Saturday lunch heat it up, and make burritos.
    I feed three ( adults) on about $200 every two weeks doing that. It's partly in how you shop and how you plan the meals out.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I am from Oregon too (Mount Angel) and i only shop at WinCo foods... they have the cheapest prices on everything. Oh and Make a List and stick to the list so you don't forget anything and to prevent those impulse buys
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 1:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• If you run out of food, go to a food bank.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I spend $60-80 a week for three of us. Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html  

Dried beans and lentils should be your new, best friends! Feel free to contact me offlist for recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I'm not going to offer any help, but I don't see a reason you can't do it - I feed 6 of us for that or less. And I don't use coupons. I'm not on foodstamps. I don't do angelfood. I don't go to foodbanks. I buy it all at 3 grocery stores.
    Anonymous

• I feed a family of 7 on $250 a month or less.
    DEFINITELY make a meal plan!!! Buy store brand if possible.
    Breakfasts: a box of cornflakes, oatmeal, make pancakes & serve with fruit, mashed bananas & diced apples are the least expensive right now.
    Lunches: soups & homemade muffins, sandwiches, salads
    Dinners: roast a chicken & use the leftovers for soup, sandwiches, a casserole or pot pie. A bag of chicken breasts will give you the options of chicken alfredo, teriyaki chicken, parmesan chicken. Chicken leg quarters can be grilled, baked with sauce or salsa, baked in a chicken & rice casserole or oven fried. Ground turkey is less expensive than beef & can be substituted in anything calling for ground beef, especially casseroles. Make some meatless meals like lentil vegetable stew. Buy only the fresh fruits & veggies that are in season & buy frozen for otherwise.
    Snacks: popcorn, fruit, veggies & dip, muffins
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I spend $300 on 7 for a month. THat is breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Look at the flyers for sales. Get a newspaper or get someone esles Sunday paper with the coupons. I know I save a ton by making a list of my meals for hte whole month and then writing down each item I need on a list. Then I look for anything I have on the list in the flyers and pick it up as I go.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• banana bread for the sweet tooth..........we eat that alot!!!!!
    I spend 300$ on a family of five for a month, you should be in heaven on that budget.........I'd love to spend that :)
    momofcali3

Answer by momofcali3 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2009