Is this legal?

I just started work at a new place. It is a pizza buffet- and there are no individual servers- everyone works together to clear tables, prepare food, etc. When people do leave tips (which is often- probably about $150/day), the owners keep the money and put it towards our "employee party".

There is no record of how much is coming in- and I can't even imagine what kind of party they are planning on throwing with that much revenue. This practice of keeping and not recoring tips seems very shady and illegal- what, if anything can I do about it?

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 12:23 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• Ë™uı ɯıɥ uɹnʇ pןnoʍ ı ǝɯ sɐʍ ʇı ɟı ˙ןɐƃǝןןı sı ʇı ʎɐs pןnoʍ ı
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Depending on how much you are getting paid, I would probably just look for a different job.
    Anonymous

• look for a diff job
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I would contact the Better Business Bureau and find out what their policies are on tips. depending on what state you are in they might have to pay taxes on that money.
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Dept. of Labor & Industry
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Starbucks has a lawsuit against them for the managers getting a portion of the tips so this is really illegal if the manager is taking the tips. You should have someone check that out, you definitely should be getting your daily tips!
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 11:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2009