I ate an apple maggot - help!

Hi everyone,

My family has been eating the apples off our tree like crazy the last couple weeks, and today I spent hours making applesauce. I noticed some tiny holes in the skin and brown spots in the apples. I did some research and discovered it is from apple maggots! Apparently when they are young they are barely visible. I am so disgusted....does anyone know if it is dangerous to eat them?! Will we be able to eat our applesauce? Is there a chance they were no longer in the apples? I'm really freaked out about this!

betheroo

Asked by betheroo at 12:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Ë™noÊŽ ɹoÉŸ pɐq ǝɹɐ ʎǝɥʇ ɟı ǝǝs oʇ ɥɔɹɐǝs ɹǝɥʇouɐ op uɐɔ noÊŽ ssǝnƃ ı uǝɥʇ 'ǝɹǝɥʍ sǝןoÉ¥ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ ʇno puıɟ oʇ ɥɔɹɐǝs pıp noÊŽ ɟı

If you did search to find out what the holes where, then I guess you can do another search to see if they are bad for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• ive heard and seen prolly have eaten a few too lol but ive never gotten sick id google it just to see what would come up i doubt they r dangerous tho ive seen people eat real maggots before and they were fine so? call ur dr and ask them if u dont feel comfortable letting ur kids eat them
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• anon w/the upside down writting is rude.....

idk what to tell you about the apples, I'd be freaked out too.
    good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• You took hours making the applesauce and now you want to know if it is harmful to eat the applesauce with maggots in it. After you boiled the apples and maggots together probably not. Would i serve my family food that i knew had maggots in it --- probably not. Didn't in your heart know this answer?
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 1:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I didn't know there were maggots when I was cooking. I just noticed some damage to the apples and looked it up later (the maggots are apparently invisible in the early stages). I hadn't found much online, including whether they are dangerous. I was hoping someone could tell me if they crawl out once they chew through the apples, in which case I could eat the applesauce. But if nobody knows I'll stay on the safe side and toss it.
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 1:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Its not going to hurt you, really it wont, its extra protein (if you can get over it mentally) And we seem to think that the worms didnt actually stay, but ate what they wanted..... (though Im not for 100 % sure) And technically, you cooked them, so that probably got rid of any germs.....so really, its up to you if you want to eat it or not :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 2:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• At this late stage of the year, the maggots are more than likely gone. We have the same thing with our apple trees. While I'm quartering the apples I'll notice the same brown lines, but you'd notice if a maggot was still in there at this stage; they're very visible. No, they're not dangerous to eat if one happens to slip by you.

Check out a Jerry Baker book from the library. He's got "natural" remedies for spraying fruit trees for bugs, or you can get chemical sprays from any garden center. Spray your baby apples.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• i would still eat it..... am i gross? if you don't want it you could send it to me :) i like apples and applesauce lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Thanks everyone! Your answers were comforting. Today I actually talked to a woman who owns an apple orchard, and she said the same thing....by this time of year you would be able to see them if they were still in the apples, so they must have left. I can always just cut away the little brown parts if it bothers me. So that's a relief! I was worried over nothing. I'm surprised there's not more information on the internet about this.
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 10:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2009