My face is always dry, flakey, yet oiley and I have patches of blemishes. What are things that will help me have a fresh clear face?

Up until now, age 40, I have always had a clear face! I hit 40 and BAM! I have blemishes and dry yet oily .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Are you me? Sounds EXACTLY like me - but mine started about 38. Here's what I do and it works.
    1. stop using liquid foundation - it clogs and increases the oiliness,switch to mineral powder. 2. Exfoliate using table salt and oil-free moisturizer (I use Neutrogena). Here's how I do it: Take a wash cloth, wet it with water as hot as you can stand it on your face - place the wet cloth over your face - while your skin is still hot (the pours are open), put about 1/4 tsp table salt in your hand, pump about 4-5 pumps of moisturizer on top, blend in your palm and then distribute over your face, rubbing in a circular motion (paying special attention to the dry patch areas) (DON'T RUB HARD) - when the moisturizer has absorbed, Rinse your face (as hot as you can stand it), Apply witch hazel with a cotton swab, then reapply about 1/2 the amount of moisturizer. Should see a difference immediately. Repeat when necessary (2X a month)
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Man I'm only 25 and my face is just like yours.... I use NEVA cream on my face.. It is a type of cream that helps the dry go away... And if you use soap to wash your face, than that makes since why it is dry... My face is oily too because of me using lotion on it everyday... You need some cream that closes your pores. I hate when people say use a wet pee diaper on my face if i have dry skin/bumpy skin.....My kids pee stinks..hell no! but try the pore closer cream and NEVA cream!
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• i had that problem...but i would form these red patches that would flake..but were oily too...i talked to my doc and they gave me a steroid cream..i only use it once a week and its enough that i dont get that any more! but for between those times i use the steroid cream i use aveeno face scrub...i LOVE it!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• This is the best stuff I've ever found to even things out and clear up skin.  I use it every other day and it's amazing!

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/beauty/goodskin/goodskinpharmacy/PRD~270316/CITRAPEEL+HighIntensity+Resurfacing+Peel.jsp

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Get the Avon Clearskin Professionals Acne kit. It will clear up your skin, keep the oil at bay and the clearing lotion will help moisturize. I would also use the AM/PM Solutions moisturizer. For during the day use Magix Face Perfecter Primer under your makeup. It will keep you from looking shiny and help you from drying out. You can try those products at www.youravon.com/dhullum use coupon code fsany for free shipping. Btw the kits on sale right now too!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Use alpha hydroxy acids...your skin sounds like mine.,..if I run out of alpha hydroxy acid cream there's hell to pay! It makes your skin cells sluff of and regenerate faster..otherwise the pores get clogged.
    Anonymous

• JulieJacobKyle...I read about the product you use...it says it is a 2 step process? Is it a mask and moisturizer...? ..or what?
    Anonymous

• They're pads soaked in stuff. The first step pad is the peel. You rub that on, wait 5 minutes, then rub the second pad to neutralize the citric acid. Wait a minute while that dries, then splash cool water on your face. It makes the skin feel really clean and soft.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Wash your face.
    Anonymous

• I can tell you what works with my skin, I have super-oily blemish prone skin (seriously, you could fry a chicken with what comes off my face,lol). I have to exfoliate daily (nothing too rough, just mildy). Because oily skin clogs with oil and dead skin cells very quickly so exfoliating is best (I was told this by an aesthetician). Also, avoid facial products that contain alcohol like most toners do. You can get the kind without alcohol. Alcohol dries up the oil so well that the skin overcompensates and becomes more oily. And of course, you do need to moisturize but avoid lotions and creams with oil, if you have oily skin, why add more oil? you may need to try a bunch of different brands before you find what works for you but don't give up, it's all about finding what balances your skin out. But do exfoliate!
    EODMommy

Answer by EODMommy at 3:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2009