Only ONE best friend.....

My 6 yr old is in 1st grade this year. She is very best friends with a little girl who was also in her kinder. class. But THIS year, all she talks about is her friend. She wants to be with her 24/7. And Ive noticed that at school when i go help out: that my daughter FREAKS out if her friend sits by anyone else but her. Im so happy she gets along with everyone and has a best friend, but can a little person be controling of their bestie???? How do i get her to understand that everyone needs to play together??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had this problem with my son. What I said above was my first route, but it didn't work. Once I realized he was only getting worse, I had to take a more direct course of action. I started the bossy and overbearing and clingy bit with him. I got "hurt and angry" when he wasn't right there with me ALL the time, I practically smothered him with "friendship". He got tired of it after about a day or so and told me he wanted to play alone and with his other friends. I told him that I was feeling like he didn't love me anymore. He assured me that he could play with his other friends and still love me. My response was, "So does (his best friend's name), and he can still love you even if he plays with others too." I got up and left the room after that, to let him think. He did. It took him a little bit to get it because he is so young, but he DID get it. Now he and his best bud are just that, best buds. No more competition
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 4:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2009