what would you do? im in one program and kinda want to go to a different one.. =/

So right now im a criminal justice student and i like it i really do its interesting but theres only like 2 professions i'd like to do in it, and now my college JUST got a nursing program that i know im qualified for too, i really want to do this but im afraid ill be letting myself and others down if i switch because ive already started on this, but i know there would be openings where i live [i live where the Mayo Clinic is] and i want to be a OB nurse or with babies or kids =[ i dont know what to do, i wish i could do both ahhh

jaelynsmama07

Asked by jaelynsmama07 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• Deciding on a major is tough....Im going for human services and my mind changes all the time.
    Because of the limited job market for CJ, it might be hard finding a job you want....now the healthcare field is a high demand. Sit on it the rest of the weekend, if you still feel like you want to switch gears, talk to your academics councelor. You are not letting yourself down (most college students go through it) You are fufulling your goals. You will know what is best for you.....and others will respect that. GOOD LUCK
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:49 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• You shouldn't even be thinking about the possibility of letting others down with your education. You get your education for yourself, not for them. If you know there will be more opportunities with another program, then go for it. Education is something you do for yourself, no anyone else. It's about bettering yourself, not living up to the expectations of another. If you have changed your mind about what you want to do, then you won't be letting yourself down, because YOU are the one that changed your mind. Follow the opportunities and your heart and to hell with "the path" others have set for you. This is for you, not them.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 3:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Follow your heart! Nursing is a wonderful career, and you can get a job almost anywhere in the world.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• If you truly want to change majors, then do it. You may want to check into how many courses you have taken will transfer over, and how much your length of time in school will be increased by. a semseter or years? If it is worth it to you, then do it. If you are really close to the end of your CJ degree, you may want to see about a double major. You can become an OB nurse that solves crimes. :p
    BunniBunni

Answer by BunniBunni at 8:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• If nursing is what you want to do then go with that. I majored in something I like, because everyone was telling me that I would be good in it. Now, I will have a B.S. in May in something that I have no plans on entering into that field with now. I wish I had of listened to myself and majored in what I wanted to.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Oh, I just wanted to add, that my husband is majoring in Criminal Justice. He will be graduating in June and then plans to get his R.N. He works at the jail now, but he wants to be a nurse at the jail. The nurses make $3 an hour more starting out, and when my husband first started this job, he was doing what the nurses where doing and loved it. He passed out the meds and checked the diabetics blood sugar and gave them their insulin. So, if you love both then you can probably do both.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• OP---how far along are you in your course of study? I believe CJ programs are 2 years and basic nursing degrees are 3 years (more if seeking a master's or specialty degree). If you just started out, chances are you can switch majors as most of your CORE classes (English, Math, Biology, etc.) are required of ALL majors before specializing. So you may be able to transfer your completed courses and credits without having to start over.

If that's the case, then you can easily explain to anyone you feel you may be disappointing that this is what you REALLY want to do, and you haven't wasted any time or money as everything up until this point was transferable.

Go with your heart. Your career should be your passion, not a "chore!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• So i decided maybe i will double major, i got a year left for the criminal justice and i just got a 10000 dollar scholarship so it was unexpected money . I also really really want to be a social worker and theres a career in the criminal justice field that is just like social work so ill be getting my bachelor degree in that..however the same school has nursing and i may start on that as well because some of my credits would transfer over to that and make it about 2 1/2 years..i really really want to make something out of my life i havent always done the best in the past, since i had two kids and the second baby i was barely out of highschool with still but i want to make a good life for my kids like any normal kids..so i have to try my hardest because i want them to grow and know they can do anything they set there mind too.
    jaelynsmama07

Answer by jaelynsmama07 at 1:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2009