what is the best thing to eat when you're hungry to the point of shaking?

I've been having my migraine and pain meds tweaked lately and apparently these anti seizure ones (for migraines) require me to sleep from like 8pm til noon. When I roll out of bed my body is starving.... I am past tummy rumbling and am weak, dizzy, shaky.

What to eat that fixes this most efficiently, safely, and QUICKLY? Calories in general? Sugar? Fat? Carbs?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Health

• Sprite is what I always use to bring up my blood sugar, and then I eat something like beef jerky to sustain it until I can eat well. I have crazy blood sugar problems, so I am always having to do quick fixes.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Try eating an granola bar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• sugar and protien beef jerkey and a candy bar or granola bar
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Peanut butter on anything you want and milk or another protein, good carb and a complex sugar would do you better. Also, is there any way you can eat a little something before you fall asleep? Something as simple as PB sandwhich and a good glass of milk is a decent choice, or something else like that.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 2:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Drink a cup of milk first and then eat normally. The milk will help pull your blood sugar up and give you a little energy. Just be sure to eat within 15 mins after drinking the milk.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Orange juice, for your sugar levels. It is almost immediate. It's what many diabetics use, and it works the same way. Sounds like you need to set an alarm to get up about halfway through that sleep and eat something or you need to get a different med from the doc. If he knows about how much you are sleeping on it, he will most likely change it if it's possible.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 3:40 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• i would reccomend keeping some glucose tablets next to your bed...that way you can chew one and relax and give yourself some time to wake up and get oriented that way your not stressing on what to eat...once your feeling more stable then worry about breakfast....you can find these tablets at most pharmacies, i get mine at the walmart pharmacy, they are cheap and over the counter.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• holy poopers, these have been very, very helpful. thank u guys so much! my insurance wouldn't pay for a consult w/ a nutritionist unless I jumped thru a MILLION hoops and wasted a bunch of time and money faxing a bunch of crap long distance so I thought I'd try Dr. Cafe Mom instead, lolz
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Peanut butter.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2009