15- 4 oz bottles a day

my dd is 8 weeks old and she eats 15- 4 oz bottles per day. she is about 9 lbs . this seems like a lot to me. i make sure that she burps well and she is always hungry. is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try letting her eat a little more then 4 ozs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• my 7 week old takes about 10- 4oz bottles a day but he's 13lbs....idk if weight has anything to do with it though
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• It does seem like a lot, but then I breastfed! My firstborn though had an enormous appetite and grew like crazy!! I would try giving her 6 ounces at her next feeding and see if she doesn't eat as often. She may just not be getting enough at each feeding.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Start making 6-8oz bottles and feeding her more in a sitting and that may hold her over longer. When m DD was that age i gave her 6oz bottles 6am, 10am,2pm,6pm,10pm by the time she was 10wks old her 10pm bottle was 8oz and she would sleep Thur the night till her 6am feeding. That was the schedule i had her on.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Give me a break. You posted this here instead of asking the babies doctor? you posted this here instead of using common sense and increasing your baby's bottle?
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 2:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• my son will eat a lot too but he only sometimes wants 6 oz in one feeding and is now 8 weeks. he is 11.11 lbs at the moment I would say right now he is about by 12 4oz bottles. and to seekerofshells. sometimes I rather ask a question to expirianced moms then ask my doc that thinks textbook. or have you never asked your mom or grandma for advise?
    AlexesmommySam

Answer by AlexesmommySam at 3:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My son did this as well, but I was giving him 8 oz bottles from the beginning. I put a very small amount of baby cereal in his bottle, that seemed to give it enough substance that I was feeding him every hour or so. I asked my doc about it and he told me as long as you keep the cereal to small amounts, it was fine.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 3:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• So why are you only giving 4oz at a time? Common sense....feed them as much as they want as often as they want so they're not hungry.

60oz is a LOT, yes. Mine took 8oz every 2-3 hours at that age, averaging 45oz per day. And they were considered HUGE eaters.

Do not add cereal as that will only make him more hungry later because you're cutting down on the calories he needs.

Any time there are feeding issues, you really should be calling and talking to your doctor, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Are you sure they are hungry. Bottle fed babies are commonly overfed. Babies will overeat.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• That is WAY WAY too much. That is 60 oz in a day. And that she was needing something to eat every 1 1/2 hours on average which is far too often and too much.
    I would first make sure she is really hungry.. she might be eating out of comfort... like she would with a pacifier. And then try to comfort her in other ways.
    The I would change the flow of her nipple to a slow flow nipple... she might be chugging before she knows she is full. The bottle will then last longer... especially if she is sucking for some comfort and not as much for the eating.
    I think even making sure she goes 2 hours between feeds would cut it back to 12 bottles in a day. Which would cut it to 48 oz. At her age she should be able to go 2-3 hours at a time.
    Or if she really thinks she needs to eat that often make 3 oz bottles instead... which would cut her back to 45 oz in day.
    Try to get her to 35 oz... which would be 6 4oz bottles in a day
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2009