I have a 3 yr old and an 11 month old, both girls. I'm out of work and need ideas for homemade halloween costumes. Anyone have any?

jysnda

Asked by jysnda at 2:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Holidays

• my brothers used to have homemade cotumes when we were kids my borther was a bag of jelly beans. we got a clear platic garbage bag filled it with colored ballons and cut leg and arm holes and put a easter bucket on his head my brother was a hobo my mom used mascera to make a scruffy beard and put some old clothes that were way too big on him. there were some home made costumes in american baby there website should have then on there.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I grew up in a neighborhood where no one had any money. The boys were hobos, or ghosts, the girls were gypsies or ghosts. It's OK not to have money just be creative!!!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 2:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Buy a sheet at goodwill or use one you have. Cut it it half and one girl uses one half the other girl uses the other. cut out eye holes and outline with a marker. Marker $1.00 or don't outline. don't stess it is more about you going out and having a great time with your kids.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 2:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• One year one of my daughters was a birthday present. I found a box big enough to fit over her body, then cut out a head and arm holes wrapped the box in birthday wrapping paper. I also made a curly bow and put in in her hair. We got tons of compliments!
    My idea for your 11 month old is if you have any head bands, you can cut out cat of dogs ears, pin them on the head band and maybe draw a few wiskers on her cheeks with eye liner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I love some of the ideas, but at this age, they really aren't going to remember anything about "Halloween". They just want to spend time with you. The costumes and candy and junk food and all that really are not what is important. What is important is that you spend time with the kids, that is all they want right now, and it will have the largest effect as well. It's not about what you do with them, it about being with them.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 3:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Gypsies are fun for the three year old, just layer slips and skirts and a blouse on top. Dress them all in black, take a head band and construction paper and make ears and tape them to the head band, stuff a black sock and pin it to the back of her pants, poof kitty cat. Put on thier prettiest dress and make crowns out of poster board and plastic bead and glitter and they are princesses. Form two wire hangers into wings and stretch white pantyhose over them to make wings, use old garland to make halo's and dress them in white, they are angles (or fairys if you have other colored dresses)
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• A tree. You take leaves off your tree, or ones that have fallen an staple them to your clothes. Very inexpensive.
    duffy1964

Answer by duffy1964 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I used to take those blanket sleepers with feet and make a costume when they were that little. If it was yellow, you could make a lion or whatever. I would try to find a knit hat that pulled over their face with holes for the eyes, nose, and mouth. (They have a name but I can't think of it right now.)

I would sew a large pom-pom to their butt for a tail, and two smaller ones on top of the hat for ears. They I'd put some wiskers on their face with either face paint or a makeup stick like an eyeliner pencil. Add some mittens and not only do you have a costume, but it's a warm one in case the weather is cold!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 11:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Oh. I guess you can't put whiskers on their face if the hat covers it! Unless you use a regular knit cap.... I guess I should go to bed now and let my brain have a rest! Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 11:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• my mom did this when we were kids. green tights green leotard green hat and staples green tissue all over the outfit and PRESTO!!!!!!!!!we were lettuce, cabbage, or whatever other green veg, you could think of...........
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2009