Being Induced

I was due on Friday with my third child. I did not have her, and the doctors don't want me going way past my due date like I did with my other two girls.

So tomorrow they are inducing me and I was told what to expect as far as being admitted to the hospital and getting the IV and whatnot. But what I want to know is, are the contractions worse? Does it normally happen quicker? Is there time for an epidural should I choose to get one? I want to know things along that line.

LaceyAM

Asked by LaceyAM at 7:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had to be induced with my first baby, i had preeclampsia. With my 3rd baby i also had to be induced. It was not that bad at all. I had time to get an epidural and my labor lasted about 4 or 5 hours. i was induced at 39weeks due to complications. it was my easiest labor ever. I think you will be fine. Congratulations on your little one. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• There is no way to know if pitocin contractions are more painful. But by definition, induction of labor sets the process in motion before your body is ready. There is no really good reason you are getting induced, is there...other than going post-dates? IMHO your doctors are irresponsible for not having a true medical reason to do this procedure to you, because it's certainly not without a lot of risks.

Is induction actually what you want?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2009/10/3/postdates-separating-fact-from-fiction.html

I would make them give me a damn good reason to induce me before 42 weeks especially if you went past 40 weeks with your other child. Personally I didn't have that problem as my first was 10 days early and second was 5 days with no interventions of any sort.

Induction raises your chances of a c-section by 40% so keep that in mind especially if your body IS NOT ready to be induced!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I would not agree to it unless there was a very good medical reason. When your body is not ready and the baby is not ready, complications are much more likely and c-sections almost a given.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• why do they not want you to go past your "due" date? i wouldn't get induced unless it was medically necessary. there are risks involved. just google induction risks, i'm sure you can find some good info.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• The contractions are much harder. I thought I was going to have an epidural but there wasn't time. The birth was so fast and hard at the end the doctor almost didn't make it and she was on the floor. I suffered birth injuries to nerves that go to my leg and it took a year of physical therapy to be able to walk. I have damage to that leg and can't walk fast or run because of the induction.

I had the induction because my life was in danger. I would not do it if your life or the life of the baby was in danger. You can refuse.

If you do have the induction I hope everything goes well.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• i had to be induced with my son because my blood pressure was higher than what a normal persons should be. I was in labor for 7 hours and i did get the epidural
    proudmama930

Answer by proudmama930 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• If the drug to induce you is too high in dosage like it was in my case, your contractions will be HELL. If they do it correctly then it will go faster if your body cooperates and you stay as relaxed as possible. Good luck to you.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Everything depends on your individual case. Is your cervix ripe, are you already dilated, do you have a history of fast labor,s etc.

Patients that have had both natural and induced labors say that pitocin makes contractions more painful.

Generally, if things progress along normally, you have time for an epidural.
    obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 7:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I am only 1 CM...have been for the past month. With my other girls I was 2 weeks late...and my last daughter was large for my frame..9lbs. And they are concerned about the size of the baby that is why they don't want me to go further past my due date.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 5:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2009