How can I help her shed?

Poor snakey!! She's been trying to shed for the last 2 days now!! I have a rock and branch in there to help her and everything but because of her burn she will never shed normally. She crawled into a heat lamp when she was a baby and has scarring in the middle 4 inches of her back. She crawls around the tank rubbing everything then curls in a ball for a few hours, then gets out and tries again!!! Is there anything I can do to help her?? Maybe even get the peice on top of her head so she isn't slamming her head everywhere???? I feel so bad!!!

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 7:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Pets

• Theres quite a few ways to help your snake shed. Moisture is the key here... You want to get your humidty levels upto around 40-60%. Provide a nice moist area for your snake to use, You dont want it to be too moist as this can cause scale rot. Damp Spaughnam moss is good for this. Shouldn't be so wet that there is water dripping off it, But just damp enough that if you squeeze it there will be a bit of leakage.

Alterantively, you can use a damp towel/flannel.

Also make sure you provide a rough surface that your snake can rub against to help break the skin from the tip of its nose, then move along to pull its shed down.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Bad Shed: What to Do If Your Snake Does Not Shed - Associated ...

May 14, 2007 ... If your snake needs help shedding, the first thing to do is give it a warm bath. Be sure the water is neither hot nor cold, but lukewarm, ...
    www.associatedcontent.com/.../bad_shed_what_to_do_if_your_snake_does.html -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• vbruno answered this question perfectly...I don't have a snake but have had to help my leopard gecko shed.
    Kelly0928

Answer by Kelly0928 at 12:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2009