3 year old with back pain?

I took my 3 year old to the doctor a couple of days ago because he has been complaining about back pain,not just a whimper here and there,he actually gets to the point where you can't even touch him to try and comfort him part of the time without him screaming in pain! The doctor sent him for a couple of x-rays to see if he can see anything going on-and to check for scoliosis(spelling).I am so worried about him! Just wondering if anyone else has had a young child with back pain?? At first I thought it was just growing pains-but it has been going on for like 3 wks. now. I give him tylenol/motrin to help ease the pain,but it just doesn't seem right for such a young child to have such pain...

dakotasmommy06

Asked by dakotasmommy06 at 8:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If the doctor can't find anything I hope they'll send you to other doctors. Poor little one.

Answer by Bmat at 9:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Sounds like an MRI is in order here. I seriously doubt this much pain is normal for a 3 y.o and I would be VERY leary of any Dr that wants to put your child on pain medications. A back specialist may also be needed and I DONT mean a chiropractor. I mean a neurologist or a Dr who specializes in back pain that has a real MD medical license.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• We've got a really good dr. that has always been very thorough so I'm sure if he gets stumped he will send us to a specialtist,I was just wondering if anyone else had a child that complained of back pain...Thanks for your replies!! It's hard to wait it out-tuesday needs to hurry up and get here!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Did they do another other tests? could he maybe have a kidney infection? or even sometimes constipation can lead to back pain too (and at this age its common to be constipated even if they go poop on a regular basis they can still get all backed up)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Yes, my son regularly complained of back pain & it turned out to be congenital kyphosis (like scoliosis, except instead of the spine curving sideways, it curves forward in an abnormal way, putting pressure on the nerves in the spine) combined with hypotonia & later was found an unspecified congenital muscle myopathy. PT was the recommended treatment to help strengthen his back & abdominal muscles to provide more support for his spine & it did help, keeping him out of a back brace until this year (he's a teen now & spinal curves do tend to get worse during the teen years b/c of so much physical growth). If we can keep his curve stable until he's finished growing, it'll be fine.

I did want to answer your question, but please don't worry too much about your own child based on what I've said, b/c every child is different & my son has a lot going on medical-wise. I will keep your son in my thoughts and hope that all is well!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Based on something I saw on tv, has he been checked for a tethered spinal cord? Supposedly it can't be seen on a basic x-ray, it needs a special MRI or something, but if it continues to get worse I'd ask. Also, I highly recommend a visit to a chiropractor, especially one who specializes in children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• The x-ray was all the dr. done so far--he wants to eliminate scoliosis first I think...My mom had mentioned a Kidney infection also-that maybe one of the things he checks for tuesday if the xrays come back clear. I'm trying not to worry too much right now until we go back to the doctor,but it's hard to do...mom2aspclboy-I wish you the best of luck with your son,Youre both in my thoughts!!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Could be many things. Is he constipated? Kidney infection? Gas & bloating putting pressure on the spine?

I had debilitating back pain for nearly a year. Ended up quitting my job because I couldn't stand anymore. Turned out I have a gluten intolerance. It caused a lot of bloating & joint pain. Went gluten free and no more pain or bloating.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I was thinking kidney infection too but I cant imagine that he could have a kidney infection for 3 weeks without getting very sick so I doubt it is that. My son complained about back pain for about a week before I took him to the doc (he was 3 1/2 at the time) The doc tested his urine to rule out a UTI and it wasnt one. He kept complaining for a few more weeks so I took him back and they did an xray which turned out fine. I then realized that he was complaining about his back hurting right before he had to go poop. So now when his back hurts, I tell him to try to go poop and he goes and the back pain is gone
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• If he is no longer in diapers or pull ups then it could be a kidney infection. Those are so painfull and it seems like its your back that is hurting. And the longer its like taht the worse it gets. I would have them test that before everything gets to carried away with MRI's and stuff like that. I had a kidney infection when i was about 3 or 4 and my mom told me that i was screaming bloody murder. I got it again when i was about 9. but its only the kidneys if it is the lower half of the back that is hurting. Good luck and i hope he is feeling better soon. I hate for kids like that to be in so much pain.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2009