For mommys that breastfeed past a year......

I have been reading all the benifits for breastfeeding past a year and how the WHO recommends at least 2 years. I am really considering doing this as long as my son wants to of course. The problem is my husband doesnt really agree. He says if a baby is old enough to "grab it and tell you he wants it then he is to old". My mother and family also would make fun and talk about me. My mother did that to my step mom when she bf my little sister for a little over a year. I was just wanting some advice from you? Could I PM you? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your husband might be easily persuaded into thinking it's a great thing if you print off some info on how breastfeeding past the first year benefits both mom and baby.

Family - well, just say "Look, you don't have to agree with me on this one, but this is what I've chose to do, and if you want to be around me and my child you will have to respect that."

You can't stop people from talking behind your back - just be thankful you can't hear them.

My daughter will be turning 2 next Sunday and she's still breastfeeding - I've been lucky enough to have a supportive family - and my partners family, although they may not fully understand why I'm still nursing - have been great.

Don't let anyone back you down or make you think it's "pointless" or "weird" - because it's not, and you don't have to listen to them.
    Good luck.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I breasted past a year with my 3rd son and i was very depressed when he weaned himself at 16mo. but he has 2 older brothers and the world arond him was too interesting to continue. My DH didn't agree that i BF past a year, but i did what i thought was best for the baby, not my hubby. He really didn't say too much more though. I guess i really don't care much what people say about me anymore. My family was supportive of whatever i decided to do. I am preg. with baby number 4 and plan to BF for as long as he or she will. Within reason of course. You can PM me if you wish.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I breastfed all 3 of mine way over a year. My husband was OK with it but I was the only one in both families to breastfeed at all. You can PM me.

Will showing your husband info change his mind? Or is he one of those kind of people that doesn't want facts to get in the way of his opinions? A lot of men are that way.

You can come up with things to say to your family -

I'm doing what's best for my child, breastmilk is good for him no matter how old he is, breastmilk protects him from getting sick, the longer I breastfeed the less likely it is he will need braces, it's not nice to make fun of me or talk about me behind my back when I'm doing what's best, are you making fun of me because you feel bad because you didn't breastfeed?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• How old is your child? If he's still very young, I can see where it would seem weird for him to still be nursing at like, 18 months. But, as time goes on, it won't seem strange. You'll wonder what the difference between nursing at 11 mos and nursing at 12 mos is. Then you will notice there is no difference when he's 14 mos either, he's still a baby, and he still needs it. Then you'll tell anyone that says anything negative that you'll do things your way with your kid, and you will hold your head high and be proud when you say it. My husband thought it was weird at first,but I nursed my first until 13 mos and my 2nd is almost 26 mos and still nursing, and he doesn't think it's weird anymore. What magically changes on the day your son is 366 days old, that makes it unnecessary, or even perverse to continue nursing? Nothing. My advice is do what you feel is best, and ignore what everyone else says, even DH.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I would just base it on if your son even wants too, then take it from there...your hubby probably won't even realize how old he is..(you know how men are)...I had all these plans too and my daughter was done nursing at 9 months...I just continued to pump as long as I could which was a few months and she's now 13 months and doing just fine :)good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Yep - I've done it, think there is good advice on here and you can PM me so we can chat about it if you want to. Good for you for wanting whats best for your baby :)
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• One thing that helps is not to make a big deal out if it. Most of my family doesn't even know that I still breastfeed. I know they would think it's odd so I just don't bring it up. My mom isn't too supportive she keeps asking when I'll ween. I finally told her I didn't want to discuss it with her again. That was a while ago and she hasn't brought it up.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• first of all is not his choice if you want to bf past a year then do it. is not about your dh agreeing or not. is about what is best for you and your child. if he doesnt like it oh wel!! lol i wouldt bf for 2 yrs but i exclusevely pump and i cant see myself pumping longer than 1 yr. i been pumping for 7 mts and am already tired
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Oh, hon, this is an easy one. Only TWO people get a say in length of breastfeeding:

1. Mom.

2. Baby.

Ask the naysayers if they are familoiar with the following gentlemen: Albert Einstein. Michael Jordan. Jesus Christ.

ALL breastfed past one year. The first two, up to age three. We can't be sure of the lenght for Jesus.

But...then you tell the naysayers that if extended breastfeeding was good enough for Einstein, Jordan and Jesus, it's good enough for your baby and the subject is CLOSED permanently.

(One thing a breastfeeding mom needs is BALLS. You have to not care what others think.)

Answer by gdiamante at 2:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Don't worry what anyone else thinks. Society is screwed up these days. Do what you and the baby feel comfortable with and know that there are hundreds of thousands of women who agree with you and are doing the same!
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2009