My baby has a flat head...

We went to the doc on Friday and the doc said we need to keep him off his back because his ear is starting to shift because of the flat spot...she said we should buy a bumbo seat. Anyone have one? Did the baby enjoy it? They are kinda pricey and wanted to know if it worked before we bought one.

konnorsmommy09

Asked by konnorsmommy09 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my friend used it all the time. they are great!!! i used one to teach my son to sit up on his own.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My grandbaby hated it! It was a waste of money.

You should use a baby sling or carrier. You can find used ones on Craigslist or eBay or at thrift stores or baby second hand stores. I like the pouch ones best like the New Native type. You can find directions to sew slings by going to google and typing in sew baby slin. McCalls has a current pattern 5678. There is info about sewing slings on www.kellymom.com

You can use slings and carriers until your child is 3 or even older.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Yes they work, you may try looking at re-sale shops or Good Will to find a used one.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I loved mine...totally worth it...if baby is on his back too much, give him tummy time or let him sleep on his side for naps...my daughter never slept on her back.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• u can also use a laundry basket,sit him in it,u can also rub ur babys head back into shape
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• We use the Safety 1st seat which is softer, has more cushion and was way cheaper than the Bumbo! It seems to have much higher back support too. My son uses it and he is 2 months. Good luck

Kemp93

Answer by Kemp93 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Bumbo, Bebepod or just a boppy pillow (why do they always start with a "B"?) has worked great for us. We use the boppy for support while she is siting now that she has learned using the Bebepod which came with a tray and we now use as her "highchair". We don't use the kitchen table so it has been perfect to just put her in on the couch next to us while we eat and share our food. My nephew had a flat head too and he had to wear a clear helmet for 20 hours a day for a few months. He is fine now so don't worry too much there are always answers :)
    zoozleroo

Answer by zoozleroo at 2:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I used a baby sling. My baby didn't get a flat head cuz I held her a lot...and I let her sleep on her sides, tummy mostly.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• How old is your baby? My son had a flat head and we repositioned him and had him sitting up and everything, but he still needed a cranial helmet. His ears were out of symmetry and his facial features were starting to change. If we had not used the helmet, he could have had jaw problems, hearing problems, vision problems, sinus problems...etc etc - all due to the shifting of his skull. Our pedi noticed it at 4 mos, but decided to wait until his 6 month check up to refer us so we could try repositioning first. When that didnt work, she referred us, but we couldn't get in to see the specialist for 4 weeks. The helmet took 2 weeks to be molded, so he didn't get his helmet until he was nearly 8 months old and we caught it in the nick of time. After a year their skulls start to fuse together. So just keep these things in mind and watch him.

Check Craigslist - that's where I got a lot of nice used baby stuff.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:26 AM on Oct. 5, 2009