Breastfeeding pill?

Does anyone know of or has anyone tried the pill "A Mother's Milk"? Or something like that? It's suppose to increase your milk supply. I'd just like to know if it works and, if so, where I can find it?

ABryn1011

Asked by ABryn1011 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Things that are supposed to help women make milk are called galactagogues. You can google it to find out more. None of the ones you can get without a rx have been scientifically to work. Some lactation consultants, LLL Leaders, and midwives recommend them anyway.

Reglan is a drug used to treat heartburn. It also acts as a galactagogue. It is not approved in the US as to be used for breastfeeding. I took it for heartburn and it did nothing to my breasts. I have breastfed a total of 10 years so I know I have breasts that work.

The best way to make milk is for the baby to nurse a lot or with a good pump.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Fenugreek is the most well known herb. I've been told you can take up to 3 pills, 3x a day (by a lactation consultant). You might want to start out with 2, 3x a day and see is that works for you. I've used it, and it worked for me, but of course it doesn't work for everyone.

There's also something called Mother's Milk tea, I believe it contains fenugreek (but it also has anise, which I can't stand, so I've never tried it).

You can find some more info here: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksuppl…

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• The pill is Fenugreek...(3 pills 3 times a day) the Mother's Milk is a tea and it doesn't work...unless you drink about a gallon a day but even according to LC's it's not that great....the Fenugreek worked for me and also at a bowl of oatmeal every day. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:25 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I used fenugreek and it worked okay... but then I bought More Milk Plus and it worked MUCH better
    I couldn't stand drinking Mothers milk tea... tasted like grass to me.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Fenugreek is good and so is oatmeal! I just pumped right after baby nursed to up my production and save for when I went back to work.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• There are plenty of galactagogues. BUT....if you're changing 6-8 dipes daily you don't need to waste the money on them because your supply is fine and you won't really get much benefit from them.

If you AREN'T changing that many dipes, there's tons of info on kellymom.com, and we can help you on the breastfeeding moms group.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Mikemaid tea from Earth Mama

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/product/breastfeeding-support/milkmaid-tea.html

I don't need the help anymore but i brew a pitcher and keep it in the fridge cause it tastes soooo good :) Fenugreek also makes your BO smell like maple syrup, its strange but nice.
    zoozleroo

Answer by zoozleroo at 2:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I'm in agreement with the oatmeal remedy. That always made more milk than my baby could even eat, had to let it drip out the side of her mouth because it was too much. haha.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2009