Not sure where to put this...

This really has nothing to do with R&B but I'm not sure where to put it, so you ladies are my old stand by... lol...

If you haven't read the "I was a sex slave-and escaped" article in the newest MarieClaire you MUST... It talkes about the horrors undergone by CHILDREN in Cambodian Brothels. These girls are as young as 5 and 6 sometimes even younger and they are tourtured and beat before being forced to "service" as many as 25 men a day...

My question is this. What can we do. Marie Claire always publishes these articles (last month was force feeding in Mauritania) that make you really want to get out and make a difference. But they never tell you how. Are there charities or anything we can get involved in? And where do we find them?

I am doing some research and looking myself, but if anyone knows of some that can help me out, I would be more than grateful!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Make a Difference

www.bethecause.org      Practical solutions for changing the world.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Make A Difference Foundation, Inc.®Make A Difference Foundation, Inc.® ..."Changing our future - One child at a time". Board of Directors. Young, committed, enthusiastic, and promising ...
    www.makeadifferencefoundation.org/boardofdirectors.html

vbruno

• I wanted to share what I found as well... 

http://www.somaly.org/
    Over a million women and children are sold into slavery each year. This unspeakable crime has grown exponentially and will continue to grow unless good people take on this challenge against evil and say “no more.”

The Somaly Mam Foundation has taken on this challenge. Founded in 2007 by trafficking survivor, Somaly Mam, the Foundation is dedicated to ending sex slavery around the world with a results-oriented, three-step approach: Action, Advocacy & Awareness.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• There is sex slavery right here in America.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Unfortunately, there is a lot we can't do. But, as mentioned above there is a sex slave problem in America, where we at least have the power to fight it & probably the area we can do the most should be where we start. As for what to do, we can raise awareness, lobby for more resources to be put into it, find or start charitable organizations that in some way give relief when these girls are found. It is harder for citizens of this country to influence actions in other countries because there just is not legal grounds. We can give money to groups who say they are helping, but there is so much corruption surrounding these brothels (etc.) that what your money actually goes for is difficult to determine. Unless we have the time and money to go to those places & start or support organizations that help these girls we can't help them much.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• http://www.pearlalliance.org

Here's another website. The founder was at our church not to long ago and she shared stories about the girls over there.. it broke our hearts.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I understand that Sexual Slavery Happens here too. I know that Humans are the number one illegal import in to this country... And that fact sickens me! However, thankfully, it's not something that our Government is trying to legalize. It's not something that the police see as "another business" and if and when sex slaves in this country ecape they are not returned to their brothels by the authorities. In Cambodia, it's normal not only for the police to return them to the brothels but to rape them first... In the US people as a whole see Sexual slavery and torture for what they are - horrid occurances! But in Cambodia and other areas around the world they are seen as every day life, just a normal way to go. Over half of the little girls there are under 10 and sold by their parents... There is a HUGE difference between there and here - thankfully. And if not for outside help, nothing will ever change!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• There is sex slavery right here in America

Only here we call it prostitution and forget it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2009