what do i tell my daughter about her missing pacifer?

my daughter is going to be 3 october 29th shes had athe pacifer since the moment she came out due to my milk supply not being in i thought she could benifit from it she wouldnt take it at first and when she was about 10 months my mother in law wanted it gone along with my husband they look down on the sort of thing , i finally gave in and decided to take it now i don't want her to have to go through all of the dental issues i have i was on a passy until i was 5 and had a bottle still at the age of 7 my mother is not a bad mother just poor judgement and life is a learing lesson when its your first .so my deal is its been gone for 4 days now and my daughter is waking up several times a night waking up earlier in the morning and throwing fits were she is not really able to catch her breathe, telling me things i have never heard her say due to the bomp bom bing in her mouth such as "mommy i need it, i really need it please,please

chedda

Asked by chedda at 10:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She's old enough now for you to explain to her that she is just too big for a pacifier. Tell her pacifiers are only for really little babies and since she's a big girl now she doesn't need it anymore. and if that doesn't work tell her you mailed it to santa or someone so that they could make her presents for christmas or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• well you can find comfort in the FACT that she does not "need" it. Sure she wants it but will be fine w/o it. What explanation did you give her for it being gone? she needs to be told why it's gone... she is a big girl now and you can replace the paci w something else. Maybe go to the dollar store and tell her she can pick any toy (they are only $1, lol) and that it's b/c she is a big girl she get's a special treat since she no longer needs the paci...

next time she asks for the paci redirect her to her new toy and remind her the paci is gone ... i've hear other paretns put the paci in an envelop... togehter w the child go to the post office and hadn the envelope (w paci inside) to the mailman and write a note indicating they can simply throw the envelope once you are gone in the garbage... let your girl know that you are mailing it to a "little kid" who still needs a paci and since she is big she can now pass it along to
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• ...cont... a littl ekid... remind her why.hope it works :)
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• That is heart wrenching, stay strong. No real advice beyond that.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Trust me, in a few days, she won't even remember it. Stay strong and don't give in. Right around 15 months, I cut a whole in my daughters and told it was broke. She needed to go throw it away and tell it Goodbye. After that, I never had any problems. The other daughter sucked her thumbed, so the old whole in the thumb trick didn't work so well. (Just kiddin :)
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Sorry, I meant hole. Not whole.
    m-avi

• I told my daughter that I gave them to a baby that really needed one and that she was big enough she didn't need it anymore. She seemed glad to give it to the baby.
    dons_doll

Answer by dons_doll at 11:23 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I saw this on super nanny the other day... she told her little girl that there were lots of little babies that needed pacis and that the paci fairy was going to come and get them from her so she could give them to babies that need them more. So the little girl found all the pacis in the house and then they put them in a little bag, brought them outside and put the bag in a tree. Then the mom told the little girl that after the paci fairy came she would leave a prize for giving the pacis away to the babies. The little girl was so excited about the prize that she forgot about the pacis. Just an idea to try I guess.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My oldest insisted on keeping an attacher on hers...(Altho it was never attached to her shirt, lol). She decided one day that she was gonna throw it over the balcony. I told her a bird thought the attacher was a worm & flew off w/it. No questions since. In ur case, I'd go w/the letter thing. I think that's a great idea! GL!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 11:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• On theanother show, they had the boy put the pacifier in an envelope and mail it away to other little babies that needed it much more than he did. It was so cute how he said he was helping the other babies and that he was a big boy now.Aww...
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 4, 2009