Vaginal delivery or Ceasearn with Hypertension?

Ok so I have mild gestational diabetes and chronic hypertension. I amconcerned about which way to deliver would be best for me and the baby? The doctor has been having trouble controlling my hypertension due to the pregnancy. I am practically floating on the amount of medicine I am currently taking. I also only can take 4 weeks off after the delivery. Which one is best for me and my babies health? Also which one will I recover from the fastest. My cousin had a ceasearn and was up working after 2 weeks.

Tat_9280

Asked by Tat_9280 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would have to say the C-Section. I had two and I never regret it for a minute.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Every person is different after having a baby. God's blessing to you through what you decide. I had a c-section for both, and was up and about not long after.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 11:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Depends on your level or pain threshold. A vaginal delivery is always easier than recovering from a C-section. But your Dr may want you to have a C-section due to your condition. Talk with your Dr about what is safest for your baby, and you, IN that order. Sounds like you will be having a C-section like it or not. Diffucult to control Hypertension could kill you during labor.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Hypertension increases your chance of hemorrhage in c-section. I almost died on baby number 3 because of it. Also C-section brings with it risk of blood clots (normal surgery risks), and risks to the baby as well such as difficulty breathing. Unless it is an absolute emergency and yours or your childs life is at risk I would not go with a section.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• As a PP said, sounds like you might end up with a C-section whether you want one or not. It might be better to have a scheduled one, rather than as an emergency measure after hours and hours of exhaustive labor and all kinds of other interventions trying to give birth vaginally. I am not a proponent of unnecessary c-sections, but there ARE valid reasons for them in some cases. Your case might be one of them. Talk it over with your doctor.
    Anonymous

• You will recover much, much faster from a vaginal delivery. I've had 2 c-sections and hate them with a passion. They recovery is terrible. It will be a full 6 weeks before you are back to yourself, but as long as your job doesn't require lifting or anything else that could tear your internal stitches, you will be able to work after 4 weeks.

As far your baby, if you have sever hypertension you most likely need a c-section. My advice would be to listen to your dr. Some women with gestational diabetes or hypertension delivery vaginally just fine. Other cases are more severe and require a c-section. My cousin had severe hypertension, was in labor for hours, and then was told she had to have a c-section.

Me, my cousin, & my best friend all had labor with our firsts & then finally ended up having c-sections. The recovery from a c-section is worse when you have to first go through labor.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2009