My husband and I are hardly talking right now and I'm less than 2 weeks away from my due date. What can I do to make this not awkward?

This is my first and I just feel so awkward. We're hardly talking. He's doing the important things still but I feel really insecure around him. I want him to understand what I need from him but I'm not really sure myself. I just don't want it to be awkward during delivery and I wish he was able to give me better support. Any suggestions or advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• dont stress too much! honestly alot of what your feeling right now is normal....your hormonal (even though your probably going to hate hearing that its possibly true) and scared....dont take the stress your feeling out on your hubby...as far as when you go into labor...everything you were worried about is gonna go right out the window...you wont care! all your gonna care about is getting that baby out! so just let nature take its course, and once your baby is born things will calm down and be a whole lot better!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I'm so sorry. Is there someone you and your husband can talk to about your problems?

A doula may help. Doulas are trained to help fathers be involved. She would give you the support you need during the birth. You can find a doula by searching on google. Some doulas charge on a sliding fee schedule if you can't pay the full fee or barter. There are some doulas in training that charge little or provide services for free. These are often experienced women that need to attend a certain number of births to be certified.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Hes probably scared too. Try to talk to him and see if hes freaking out, but trying to hide it from you.
    Anonymous

• Why aren't you talking?

It might be best if he's NOT there for your labor. If you're feeling like you would be awkward around him while you'r ein labor then he needs to be absent... sit this one out. It sucks, but you have to be able to let go and be uninhibited in labor. If he's going to cause any weirdness then it will slow down your labor (proven fact, ladies! Strangers and awkwardness = slower, more painful labors).

Can you seek counciling?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I'm a pretty direct person. I'd be saying "ok this is silly. I'm sorry if I did something to cause this distance between us but we need to work together to fix it bc soon we will be parents and we have to work together then. Let's start now".

Answer by admckenzie at 1:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• You might want to consider writing him a very honest letter, expressing your love and attempting to explain your feelings. Just to let him inside your head alittle bit. Try to remember that this too shall pass and that this is your husband, the father of your child--- he loves you and you're embarking- together on a huge new phase in your life. Try just to be kind and loving. Oh, and if you're at all able, plan a last pre-kids date night. It'll be a while before dates are "easy" again.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 3:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2009