TMI question concerning my son

my son has had runny poop for the past couple days...no biggie deal. this morning we changed him and his penis is swollen and red. he has been messing with it lately but no more than normal. im really concerned and i plan to take him to the dr tomorrow if it isnt better. my husband says diaper rash and im not so sure. does anyone have any ideas? we are putting ointment on it for the moment but just wanted some extra ideas. btw he is almost 3

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It could be possible that with all the runny poop he has gotten an infection. Is he circumcised? If not you might need to gently pull back the foreskin and very gently wash his penis. I had to do this many time when my son was younger. Warm compresses can also be very comforting for your son.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Probably from poo getting on his little guy. My son's gets irritated when he has runny poops too, and maybe if you are having to wipe the poo off it could be irritated from that. I put desitin on it and it usually clears up overnight or in a few hours
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• he is circumcised. its just really swollen around the head (sorry im trying to be really appropriate with these terms but descriptive)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• If he's uncircumsized DO NOT pull back his foreskin! It will retract on it's own when it's ready, DO NOT FORCE IT.

It sounds like a little bit of an infection to me. Make sure he's getting plenty of water, vitimin C and take him in if it doesn't get better soon.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• This happened to my son before, the dr told us to give him liquid benedryl. It helped. He had an alergy to something. Wont hurt to try.
    Anonymous

• No biggie... happened to my son too... he will start looking better in a couple of days... and about the TMI, I mean, it is what it is, I know how you feel though, a little awkward because its your son but it will be a "head" and stuff when he's 50 so... hope this helps, just be sure and wash it good, keep an eye on his temp... on both heads! Good luck!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2009