breastfeeding and a tatoo

me, my hubby, and my MIL want to all go together to get a tatoo symbolizing my daughter. i am planning on BF (she is due in a week) and in about a month or so we all wanted to go get the tatoo. can i get one while i am BF or should i wait until i stop BF? no bashing please. just a question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Some people say it's totally fine, and others say it's safer to wait. You should ask your doctor. Some tattoo artists won't do them for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. You should definatley make sure you're going to someone who's reputable, to make sure you don't contract diseases, and talk to your doctor about it.

Don't let that be a reason to wean early, though. Nursing is so important for your baby. Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy and on deciding to nurse your baby :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I've never really heard of this being an issue, unless of course, you are planning on getting it on your boob. LOL! Just call up any tattoo shop and ask, just to make sure though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I don't see how this would effect BF unless your getting the tat on your boob. Also bear in mind what the tat may look like in 20 years or so. many lady's get a unicorn on their boob to only have it looking like a retarded giraffe 10 or so years down the road.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• None of the big organizations that say if things are safe for breastfeeding have made any statements one way or the other. It is safe to breastfeed if you already have a tatoo. However, milk banks won't take a woman's milk if she has had a tatoo done in the last 12 months. LLL just gives info about being careful about how you get the tatoo.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/tattoos.html
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Find a clean, safe parlor, ask for a tour and to see their sterilizing equipment. If they squirm or try to put you off, then go find another one. Talk to the artist ahead of time and make sure your all on the same page as to what you want. Think hard about where you want to put it. I think its an excellent choice for commemorating such a huge event in your life.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I got a tattoo when my baby was only 2 months old =) I was fine and so was she. I breastfed her until she was almost 4 months (wish I had pushed through the pain and done it longer)
    Mamana24

Answer by Mamana24 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Tell the tattoo artist that you're nursing. They will know if their ink is safe for you or not.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 3:31 AM on Oct. 5, 2009