17 month old still spitting up?

Okay so my dd is 17 months. She was diagnosed with reflux when she was little and they said it should pretty much stop when she starts walking. Well she started walking at 9 months her doctor then said when she's a year it should pretty much stop. Well she is now 17 months and she STILL spits up. What can I do about this? Does anyone else's LO still spit up

Xandriasmommy

Asked by Xandriasmommy at 12:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cow's milk can do it. Kids don't need to drink cow's milk, it's for baby cows.

Reflux can damage his throat. He can have reflux at night and choke. The acid could get in his lungs and cause pneumonia. I don't mean to scare you but he could choke and die.

I have had reflux since I was a baby. It started from formula and continued. It got a little better when I was a teen and a doctor told me to stop drinking milk. It came back with my first pregnancy and hasn't gone away for 30 years.

You can try to raise the head of his bed. If he is in a crib you could put something under the legs on the head end. Have him drink water, no juice or soda. He may need to drink a little calcium fortified juice to get calcium from not drinking milk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I forgot to put in my answer to take him to the doctor. He may need to be on medication. They can tell by looking at his throat how much damage the reflux has done.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My dd had bad reflux, but it slowed at around 9 mo. She had more issues by the time she was a year old (diarrhea, spit up alittle) and her pedi had her go in for more tests. Could she be allergic to something else like wheat, or gluten?? They can test for Celiacs disease (wich is controlled by a gluten free diet) BTW my dd ended up having a lactose intolerance that she grew out of completely by 20 mo old. Good luck and ask for some of these tests if your worried!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 12:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• it could be milk products makeing her do that
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My 4 year old still has times where he will hiccup and end up throwing up from acid reflux. It doesn't always just disappear once they hit a certain age. You really need to take her to a doctor and probably have her put on medication.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• It's uncommon but normal. My daughter is 16 months and was reccently diagnosed with reflux. She never had an issue when she was smaller, she hardly ever spit up. But a few weeks ago she starting doing it a lot. Her Dr. put her on Prilosec (you need a perscription for the liquid) and since then the reflux has completely stopped. Hope this helps!
    Btw, her issue had nothing to do with cow's milk... she has been on it since 12 months and was 15 months before she developed reflux.
    Anonymous

• I am recommending CHIROPRACTOR CARE!!!! This got me through the reflex in my young little boy. There neck is out of alignment. You will see a HUGE diffrence just one time visit, but will take several.
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 6:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2009