GRANDparents think shes too small!

My daughter(6 months), is 15.14 pounds. I took her to the ped. two weeks ago, her ped. said she is healthy. I breastfeed. BUT her grandparents(on her father side), that I DONT feed her enough.BUT I DO!..on demand!!...I myself only 5'0 even.I just believe shes going to be short.Her father is just 5'8.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell them that her pedi isnt worried so they shouldnt either!! My middle DD was always tiny, and still is. There is nothing wrong if they are healthy!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 12:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Most bf babies are slender. Formula makes babies retain more water so u'll see they are generally chubby babies. Now I'm not saying all, just most. My son is slender and long. He eats mr than other babies (at 16mos he bf n eats solids) but is thinner than most kids his age.

Btw, by bf ur helping her grow at a healthy curve. Look up the WHO curve since ur peds curve encompasses formula, solids n bf babies.

Grandparents probably didn't bf since its when formula hit big so they're probably not used to that either. Just politely tell 'em she feeds well and ped is satisfied w/ her growth curve.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My breastfed grandson weighs 18 pounds and he is 12 months.

Your breastfed baby sould double birthweight at 6 months and triple at a year.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Ask your Ped the next time you see them to write you a note for them stating that your child is healthy and well fed. HARD for them to argue with a Dr who has 12+ years of medical training.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• every child is different, my ds is bf and he is almost 20lbs (7mts) my dd was ff and was about 21 lbs at 7 mts.. dont listen to them as long as your baby is hitting all miliestones and given u 6-8 dipaers a day everything is good
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My DD was breastfed and started solids at 4 months (she would steal from our plates otherwise) and was a whopping 16.5 lbs at year! Her older brother was 24lbs at a year and her younger brother - 20 lbs. Every child is different, even within the same family. Ignore the in-laws (hard, I know) and keep doing what you are doing. As long as the ped is happy and there are no huge drops in her growth curve, she is perfect!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Assure them that she is fine

Answer by admckenzie at 2:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Grandparents ALWAYS think granchildren are too small or too skinny. They don't get a vote, though.

Has baby doubled birth weight? If so, baby is more than fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• WOW 15 pounds at 6 months is great! That what my son was and they told me that was above average
    kcriswell

Answer by kcriswell at 2:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I would look at them, smile and say "well the DOCTOR says little Susie is healthy and growing nicely" and leave it at that.
    Every child is different and grows at his/her own rate. My boys were big as babies (my middle especially- he was 20-lb at 5 months!) while my great nieces were tiny, dainty little babies.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2009