Is it safe for a newborn to sleep 3-7 hours at a time?

My baby girl, since about Friday has started sleeping anywhere between 3-7 hours at a time. I know she's eating well based on her diapers and on Friday we took her to the doctor to check her and she was 7lb 15 oz and 21 inches (she was 8lb 14oz and 19.5 inches at birth). But is it okay for her to be sleeping this much?

SamanthaRae_bby

Asked by SamanthaRae_bby at 12:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it is okay.
    Anonymous

• I think it is just fine, she will become more active and alert as time passes, right now everything is new and exhausting to her and she needs her rest. Just be thankful and enjoy it while you can momma!
    Anonymous

• If you become engorged when she is sleeping 7 hours you can wake her to nurse.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My 2nd child was boen sleeping 7 hours a night. Dr said I was extremely blessed and that it was normal.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Let your baby sleep, Don't wake her up to feed her, that will be a big mistake. If you need to pump, but don't wake a sleeping baby to fed, you will regret it
    Anonymous

• I would only worry about it if her doctor was worried. Also, don't wake a sleeping baby to feed them. I am saying this because I did this will my 2 mth old a while back because I thought she needed to get up & eat & we stayed up all night long. If you must relieve yourself then pump. You can either store it in the freezer for some other time or pour it down the drain.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Never wake a sleeping baby!
    Dinosaursmommy

Answer by Dinosaursmommy at 1:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I would only wake a sleeping baby to nurse during the day. at night - wow! what a great thing, sleep. My DD was a sleepy baby but more wakeful at night. I would wake her during the day to help with the time confusion. At nearly 10, she is still an awesome sleeper.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My daughter was sleeping 5 hours consistently starting when we brought her home from the hospital. As long as she's eating enough throughout the day and having enough wet diapers and not acting strangely in any way, it's fine to let her sleep. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Why wouldn't it be okay? Never wake a sleeping baby! Not even to feed/nurse unless doctor's orders because of feeding issues or something.
    Anonymous