Can you use neosporin for diaper rash?

i know you can use athletes foot creme for diaper rash..but can u use neosporin?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No don't use either one.
    Anonymous

• No...for a diaper rash you should use DIAPER RASH cream. You can use Purelan as well, my doctor told me that, works very well. (The stuff you use for nursing when your nipples are cracked and sore....)
    Anonymous

• i only use lotrimin ( an anti - fungal creme ) that is commonly used for athletes foot and its works really well, because desitin and balmex wouldn't help my daughters diaper rash at all and my doctor recommended it to me when i brought her to the doctors because i couldn't get rid of her diaper rash. but i don't think neosprin is supose to be used...down there lol
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 1:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• no dont use that,there is an opening down there.i found that if i wiped my lil ones bottom with a warm rag and let her air it out it went away faster.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Anti-fungal cream should only be used at the doctor's recommendation if it's suspected that the diaper rash is actually a yeast infection (if it's lasting longer than it should and diaper rash cream isn't helping, or if the rash is more characteristic of a yeast infection than a diaper rash). There's no need for Neosporin. The best thing to do for a diaper rash, to treat or prevent, is to clean the area well and then let it air dry (or gently pat it dry if air-drying isn't a viable option), and use a diaper rash cream with zinc oxide to keep moisture from further irritating the rash (or some Vaseline to keep moisture from irritating it to begin with).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Those diaper rash creams don't do anything other than act as a moisture barrier. they do not get rid of diaper rash.

Lotrimin should only be used if it's a yeast rash.

Neosporin can be used, but it's not really going to do anything unless the sores are open...and if the sores are open, you should have been at the doctor a while ago.

Soak in a tub of water and baking soda. NO SOAP!!! Don't use wipes, use a washcloth with warm water ONLY. Make sure you dry before you put on the diaper. Use a barrier cream with each change...unless it's a yeast rash, then lotrimin three times a day with the barrier creams in between.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• a friend of mine's baby had diaper rash so badly that she was bleeding in a few spots and her doctor told her to use neosporin...if there aren't any open wounds it probably isn't the best idea. I agree that if you can let it air out you should do so for as long as possible. good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• No. Not only will it not help a standard diaper rash, but my dr says that you shouldn't even use neosporin on kids under 4 years old. He says you use polysporin on infants and toddlers. Also, athletes foot cream shouldn't be used on a regular diaper rash, but only on a yeast infection rash.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2009