To the Christian Ladies

I am reading this book called "There Were Two Trees in the Garden" and in the second chapter he says the following:

As Christians we often gravitate toward, and esteem most highly, those who are the most conservative and moral. Jesus did not. Sinners did not crucify the Lord -- Israel's most moral and upstanding citizens crucified him. The Lord declared to such that the publicans and harlots would enter the Kingdom of God before they would. Those who consider themselves "good citizens" or " good moral people" may be further from the Kingdom than the lowest pervert. "There is no one who does good, not even one." (Psalm 14:3) Sinners, and even the demon-possessed, humble themselves before the Lord; the religious and upstanding citizens held Him in contempt as not being as righteous as they were. "

So what are your thoughts? Again this is a book I am reading.

TBandNCmommy

Asked by TBandNCmommy at 1:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it could give the wrong message totally. You seem to be forgetting that the teacher's of the law were still sinners too, and maybe worse sinners BECAUSE they didn't practice what they preached. Also, they ADDED to God's word. And, you know, the teachers of the law were NOT baptized with John's baptism of repentance before Jesus' time began. Do you get the impact of that? They did NOT WANT to REPENT, nor believe in Jesus. THEY WERE NOT CHRISTIANS.  When you say that moral people may be further from the Kingdom.....are you talking about moral CHRISTIAN people? If you do mean that moral CHRISTIAN people are further than the Kingdom, than I think that is sick and so is that book. The bible says those in Christ don't continue sinning. Sounds to me people who obey are being put down. Too many books about the most important book is not good, especially if they talk this nonsense.

Anonymous

• I didn't state my opinion, I was quoting a book, that I am reading.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 2:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Yeah I know.
    Anonymous

• Plus he didn's say they were Christians, he said they were the most moral and upstanding citizens at that time. He also says prior to this that the devil can appear as an Angel of Light. That just because something appears to be moral and upstanding doesn't mean that it is. He brings up Hitler, when he first came to power, he portrayed himself as moral and upstanding, so people would want him to lead. Look at where that got them.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 2:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Hilter would have the German citizens executed if they did not appear to like him. So...one must consider that before believing that people liked him for any reason.
    Anonymous

• But that was after he came to power, before they knew who he really was.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 3:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I believe a certain quote from Gandhi would be appropriate here!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I think the author is in on the right track. We cannot assume that just because someone is outwardly moral and an upstanding citizen that he is on the inside a 'good' person. As Christians we should believe that God is the only judge of a person's heart. This piece that you quoted does not condemn the good citizen and good moral people. It is simply urging us not to judge a book by its cover. Well, really it is urging us not to judge a book, period, by it's cover or otherwise, but to allow God to be the judge of who is worthy of heaven.

cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 3:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• cleanaturalady
    I think the author is in on the right track. We cannot assume that just because someone is outwardly moral and an upstanding citizen that he is on the inside a 'good' person. As Christians we should believe that God is the only judge of a person's heart. This piece that you quoted does not condemn the good citizen and good moral people. It is simply urging us not to judge a book by its cover. Well, really it is urging us not to judge a book, period, by it's cover or otherwise, but to allow God to be the judge of who is worthy of heaven.

But the fact that the author is concentrating on moral people is just crazy.
    Anonymous

• "But the fact that the author is concentrating on moral people is just crazy."

People who consider themselves moral, MORE moral and/or righteous than Jesus himself.
    Anonymous