Do you have to pay back food stamps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• No
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• You only have to pay it back if you comment fraud while on them. For example you sell them & get caught. Or you buy food for someone else & get caught.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• IF you lied to get them and get caught .I think you can get in big trouble..BE CAREFUL
    sirrera

Answer by sirrera at 1:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I am not lying or trying to commit fraud. I was just wondering if we did apply for food stamps would we have to pay them back.
    Anonymous

• Besides fraud, the only other situation I've heard of is if your savings/assets go over the limits set by the program. I heard of one lady who was trying to save a down payment on a house. She was given a choice: Either bring her savings account down to an acceptable max (I think she couldn't have more than $1000 at any time) or else be kicked off the program and have to repay everything.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Nope babe, you don't have to pay them back!  Like the other ladies have said, as long as no fraud is caught then you don't ever have to pay them back!  ;)

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2009