Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you go to the hospital and get your children's Halloween candy x-rayed?

One year when I was younger I ate and apple that had a razor blade in it(didnt hurt me but almost did) and my cousin ate a tootsie roll that had a cigg. butt in it

Answer Question

Asked by aidensmama8 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (49)
  • omg!!
    no i would think that the hosp woul dlook at me like im crazy
    but i do inspect the candy and anything that the wrapper is loose ect goes in the trash

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • Nope. Never even heard of doing that.

    Answer by Laura1229 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • No we only take dd trick or treating to people we know around the neighborhood.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • NO. But I do "sift" through their loot when we get home, and toss anything they either don't like or looks like it may have been tampered with, as well as any "rejects" (partially wrapped, defective) from the manufacturer.

    Besides we only go Trick or Treating in our neighborhood/development, pretty confident our neighbors wouldn't try harming or poisoning the neighborhood children! :o)

    Answer by LoriKeet at 2:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • X-ray'ing candy was huge when i was a kid, it was scary, i was alwyas afraid to eat candy on halloween unless we bought it.

    here where I live I dont think they even offer it. What they do offer is safe trick or treating options, the city holds a halloween party at the convention center with free games, food and at the end of the night the kids get a giant bag of candy as they leave. There are also other places that open up for trick or treating the merchants on our main street have a after school trick or treat (its a smaller town) the senior housing encourages parents to being their kids to trick or treat the seniors and they also offer games and prizes (plus its indoors and warm). There are so many options now to trick or treat safely that I dont worry about the X-ray like my parents did. I still inspect every piece of candy just incase, but have never found anything bad.

    Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • where i used to live the hospital did offer that...but my parents still just checked it themselves. we were usually tired and didnt want to wait forever to get candy checked.

    Answer by danette624 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • No I don't but I only take my son to places I know are safe.. the past 2 years we have just done trunk or treat at my friend's church and the year before that we went to the neighborhood his father grew up in and knew everyone there I still checked the candy but felt it was safer than going to random people's houses.

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • Um no, I've never even heard of such an idea.

    I do allow my children to trick or treat, but prior to them eating the candy we come home and throw it away!!! LOL Then I give them the bags of candy that I personally bought and put together for them. This way they get to enjoy the fun of trick or treating and I get to rest assured that their candy is as safe as it can be.

    Answer by munch12502 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • munch- that's a waste of some generous person's money (tossing the candy). What's the point of taking them trick or treating if you're just going to toss their goodies in the trash??

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • Anon :06 that's what I was thinking as well.. If you're that paranoid how about finding a church or someplace safe and doing it there or just not doing it at all? It really is a waste and really pointless to take them but just toss out the candy once you're done. The whole point of trick or treating is to get candy, not get candy have mom toss it and then give me candy she bought in the place of it.

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.